itsallgood

Type 1 Diabetes And Vit. D Deficiency

Rate this topic

BACKGROUND: Since he had infectious EBV (Epstein Barr) three years ago, he's really never been the same. PERPETUALLY NAUSEOUS, CRAPPY IMMUNE SYSTEM... He was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a 1.5 years ago.

At our first appt. a few weeks ago, (with this dr.) he said that he had negative tests for Celiac from previous dr. but they arent always accurate, so he tested for Vitamin D, which came up very low. I went ahead and put him on gluten-free diet in the meantime and within a few days he went from being gray, in bed, nauseous, sore, to his normal self again.

When he called with results, he said the Celiac test that was previously done was 95% accurate and Celiac can probably be ruled out. He put him on Vit. D supplements (50,000) and said that he'd like to test for "sprue". I thought that was the same thing. He also said his hemoglobin was a little high. Anyone have thoughts? I will for sure keep him on the gluten-free diet.

I dont have quotable figures on how many Celiacs test negative, but the figure of 95% accurate sure sounds wrong -- maybe someone else has data.

I too thought Sprue was Celiac -- as in the former common name for Celiac Disease was Celiac Sprue -- my primary actually called it Celiac Sprue when I tested slightly positive on my tTG IgA.

Glad the diet is working -- it gets easier and is certainly worth improved health!

Good luck to you and your family.

sorry!! still getting the hang of posting! I am beginning to wonder if the dr. said his hemoglobin was low, not high. We've been to so many docs and had so many tests this past 3 years that I can't keep it all straight sometimes. I'm just looking for anyone who might see a connection between all of his diagnoses.

I would suggest that you get a copy of his results, and post them here on the forum, with the reference ranges the lab uses, and let our forum "wizards" take a look at them. Not all doctors are good at interpreting the tests and not all doctors run all the appropriate tests :(