AlexJ72

Im 36 - Should I Get A Colonoscopy?

Rate this topic

most of the docs i visit say I have a few years to go before a colonoscopy since im only 36, but given my history with chronic constipation and food problems I am keen to go for the test this year. Am I jumping the gun?

I had it at 50. Here in Hawaii they knock you out so I didnt know a thing until I came too and a nurse asked if I wanted some coffee.

When I was diagnosed with celiac a little ater that I had the endoscopic exam and was knocked out for that too. It told a lot more than the colonoscopy.

Not sure if this helps you decide but its pretty painless and it could give you an idea of what to do or not do in the future.

good luck

ken

most of the docs i visit say I have a few years to go before a colonoscopy since im only 36, but given my history with chronic constipation and food problems I am keen to go for the test this year. Am I jumping the gun?

Yes, the initial colonoscopy is normally recommended at 50, unless there is some other predisposing factor--family history of colon cancer, blood in stool, that kind of thing. The one at 50 is considered to be a screening, checking for polyps which can become cancerous. I don't think constipation is a particularly predisposing factor...but of course I am not a medical professional either.

I had my first colonoscopy at 35 (I am almost 37 now). The gi doc wanted to do both the endoscopy and colonoscopy at the same time. I did not want to so I opted just for the endoscopy first and waited to do the hemoccult stool test a month later. I was thinking it would be normal and I would not have to have the colonoscopy. It was positive and I had my colonoscopy almost a year ago. They removed a benign polyp and discovered internal hemorrhoids (which caused the positive stool test). Barring any problems I won't need another until I'm 45. Ugg, still two before the recommended screening at 50! :P