This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mouth Retainers -invisaline

Tigercat17

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Hi everyone, I'm not sure where to put this since it is part product & post recovery.

I just got a new set of invisaline retainers last week & I've been gluten free for over two months. I was using an old retainer before & my dentist told me it could've contaminated with gluten since I used it while I was still eating gluten. This may be why I'm not feeling that much better.

Anyway, now I have new ones & I think I ate something that was contaminated with gluten by accident. I was starting to feel better last weekend then I ate a gluten free muffin & all my symptoms came back -pain on my left side, bloated, very full feeling, I got a rash on my wrist (not sure if it was DH?) & my hair started falling out more.

Now I'm wondering if my new retainers are now contaminated with the accidentally glutening? As soon as I took them out this morning my mouth was itchy (a symptom I had a lot when I was eating gluten). I only wear them at night & have been brushing them with Colgate toothpaste.

Does anyone know if there's something I could clean them with that would make them safe for me to wear & would disinfect them? I only wear them at night. These retainers are so expensive too. I'd hate to have to replace them all the time. Or maybe it's just too risky & I shouldn't wear them.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient
Hi everyone, I'm not sure where to put this since it is part product & post recovery.
It isn't either, really--it is about coping, and that is where I am (again) moving it.
Tigercat17 Enthusiast
It isn't either, really--it is about coping, and that is where I am (again) moving it.

Thank -you Peter!

Dada2hapas Rookie

Lisa, after brushing/cleaning them with toothpaste, try soaking in a solution of 1:1 bleach & water for 10 minutes or so. The bleach should denature and oxidize (destroy) any organics or protein on the retainer, including gluten. Be sure to wear eye protection, and use latex or nitrile gloves to protect your fingers.

After this, brush them again, and rinse very well. Leave the retainer sitting dry for at least 24 hrs so any remaining chlorine has time to 'evaporate'. Better yet, dechlorinate with a solution of sodium thiosulfate, or use a tap water dechlorinator product intended for aquariums--rinsing the retainer in a cup of water (with a couple drops of dechlorinator) should remove any remaining chlorine.

Rinse well again. The material invisalign uses should easily withstand the bleach. Just be sure the bleach is completely neutralized before using the retainer again, or you won't like it. :D

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Lisa, I would talk to your dentist about using anything other than a product designed to clean your appliance. I would think a through brushing would be enough to clean this. I recently got a dental appliance and my dentist warned me specifically not to use bleach to clean it. You should ask yours if you should use a denture cleaner or if perhaps hydrogen peroxide would work. Both bubble and would free up any residue but I don't know if the peroxide would damage it so do ask his advice before using.

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Thanks both of you! I really appreciate all the advice!

I was looking on the Internet & found a page on how to clean the invisaline retainers. It did mention to soak them in 50/50 water & peroxide. So, that's what I ended up doing. I thought about using bleach too. But I'm kind of scared to use it. I'm not sure if if would do any damage to the retainers or not.

Here's the link if anyone else needs it: Open Original Shared Link

I just hope the peroxide will be strong enough to remove any gluten that was contaminated in them...

What do you all think?

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Thanks both of you! I really appreciate all the advice!

I was looking on the Internet & found a page on how to clean the invisaline retainers. It did mention to soak them in 50/50 water & peroxide. So, that's what I ended up doing. I thought about using bleach too. But I'm kind of scared to use it. I'm not sure if if would do any damage to the retainers or not.

Here's the link if anyone else needs it: Open Original Shared Link

I just hope the peroxide will be strong enough to remove any gluten that was contaminated in them...

What do you all think?

I do think that will do the trick for you. Hope it works and you don't have any more issues.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tigercat17 Enthusiast
I do think that will do the trick for you. Hope it works and you don't have any more issues.

Thanks Ravenwoodglass! You're so helpful!

I hope it works, too! I was using my old retainer for two months while I was gluten free & not feeling that much better. I think I was getting contaminated by the old one. I thought about it before , but thought I always brush it after I used it, so I thought it was okay. Dumb me! When I went to my dentist & he told me it could have the gluten in it I could've kicked myself in the butt! :o

Dada2hapas Rookie

We run a dental clinic, and have cleaned acrylic retainers for celiac patients concerned with gluten, although they weren't invisalign. Bleach works just fine, but is the more drastic approach. Peroxide could work too, but will take longer. :) I wouldn't recommend using bleach to clean dental appliances with metal parts.

Kylie Explorer

I have invisalign and a normal retainer and I clean them in denture cleaner. One tab a day and some hot water and you are set to go. I have had no problems with my retainers having gunk left on them after and have never had a CC problem after cleaning them this way.

Archived