freeatlast

Ate Red Licorice Three Days In A Row...

Rate this topic

Hello everyone. Oddly enough, I who read every label before purchasing, for some reason decided to buy some red licorice for a *holiday treat* without checking the ingredients. Silly me. Looked on the back this morning after having a sick headache for three days in a row and the second ingredient is wheat flour. Whoda thought?

Anyone know if wheat can trigger migraines?

Definitely. A lot of people with celiac disease will experience headaches/migraines as one of their reactions. Give away that licorice and feel better :)

My hubs will take care of that for us :) Thanks! I eat completely gluten free, but am not willing to eat gluten to take the celiac test.

Hello everyone. Oddly enough, I who read every label before purchasing, for some reason decided to buy some red licorice for a *holiday treat* without checking the ingredients. Silly me. Looked on the back this morning after having a sick headache for three days in a row and the second ingredient is wheat flour. Whoda thought?

Anyone know if wheat can trigger migraines?

The very first symptom that I experience when I've been "glutened" is a screaming migraine headache....it feels like the top of my head is coming off! Usually symptoms start (for me) about 12 - 24 hours after I've eaten something with gluten.

I hope you feel better soon!

thanks everyone for the replies and the support :)

This is off topic, but depending on your insurance coverage, you can get genetic testing done. It won't tell you definitively whether or not you have celiac disease, but it can tell you if you have one of the genes highly related to the development of celiac disease.

But if you're gluten-free and feeling better, for some that is all they need to know :)

Jillian

My hubs will take care of that for us :) Thanks! I eat completely gluten free, but am not willing to eat gluten to take the celiac test.

Oops, I meant to say that you can get the genetic testing done without having to go on the diet, so that may be a more realistic option for you if you're looking for medical confirmation.

Edited by JillianLindsay

Early in going gluten free, red licorice was one of the strange things that shocked me to find out it contained wheat. A co-worker came dancing into the office with a huge bag of red licorice saying she was sure she'd grabbed some candy I could enjoy. She flipped the bag over to read out the ingredients and both our mouths dropped open when wheat was one of the first ingredients. It really opened my eyes to reading labels before buying.