blessedmomto3a

Hickory Baked Ham

Rate this topic

New here - just told to start the diet and we have ALOT of hickory baked ham left and was wondering if it is safe or not. Thank you all so much - I am sure I will have more questions.

Blessings to all!

Leah

My husband LOVES to smoke meats and I've read alot about smoked meats being questionable. Since I understand the smoking thing, I believe that you need to know what was used to do the smoking. We use actual large wood chunks. But many people use a processed briquet and I think it's questionable what all they use to make those briquets. I think many are said to add glutens as fillers. If you bought your ham, I would try to find out if where you got it from does their own smoking or if it was from a processor. Then try to google the processor and see if you can find out just what they use.....or call them. Until you know exactly how it was smoked....I'd stay away from it.

Leah,

What is the brand name? If you smoked it yourself, what brand name products did you use?

With all gluten free foods, the brand name is important in finding our if it is gluten free.

Welcome to the group.

Is there a particular brand? Was is commercially smoked?

Anyway, smoked hams without a commercial glaze are pretty much universally gluten-free in the U.S. Just about the only time I've seen gluten in ham is in some (though not all) commercial glazes.

richard

It is a "honey baked ham" not hickory baked ham - how silly of me. I found a link to their website that claimed it was gluten free. I only had two pieces since Sunday and it seemed to sit okay. I am so overwhelmed with all of this - I am so glad I found this website. You guys are great! Thank you!

Blessings,

Leah

Honey Baked hams are indeed gluten-free now. The glaze used to have wheat. I think Heavenly Hams still have gluten, though.

richard