Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blessedmomto3a

Hickory Baked Ham

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My husband LOVES to smoke meats and I've read alot about smoked meats being questionable. Since I understand the smoking thing, I believe that you need to know what was used to do the smoking. We use actual large wood chunks. But many people use a processed briquet and I think it's questionable what all they use to make those briquets. I think many are said to add glutens as fillers. If you bought your ham, I would try to find out if where you got it from does their own smoking or if it was from a processor. Then try to google the processor and see if you can find out just what they use.....or call them. Until you know exactly how it was smoked....I'd stay away from it.

Leah,

What is the brand name? If you smoked it yourself, what brand name products did you use?

With all gluten free foods, the brand name is important in finding our if it is gluten free.

Welcome to the group.

1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember

1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms

Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance

2000-osteopenia

2001-had stroke because of medications I was given

June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months

June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)

May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

Is there a particular brand? Was is commercially smoked?

Anyway, smoked hams without a commercial glaze are pretty much universally gluten-free in the U.S. Just about the only time I've seen gluten in ham is in some (though not all) commercial glazes.

richard

It is a "honey baked ham" not hickory baked ham - how silly of me. I found a link to their website that claimed it was gluten free. I only had two pieces since Sunday and it seemed to sit okay. I am so overwhelmed with all of this - I am so glad I found this website. You guys are great! Thank you!

Blessings,

Leah

Honey Baked hams are indeed gluten-free now. The glaze used to have wheat. I think Heavenly Hams still have gluten, though.

richard