strawberrygm

Celiac Daughter Tired All The Time

Rate this topic

my daughter has been gluten free since july 08.

she has experience many improvements since going gluten free. growing, weight gain, reduced stomach pain, less fatigue, better moods.

my concern is that she is still so tired all the time. it got better for awhile, but is back again. not as bad as before, yet still tired. i should add that the tiredness sets in when there is nothing better to do. as in, when friends are over or she isnt going somewhere. she is 11, her period began may 08 and is regular now. she is currently in between cycles.

just yesterday i kept her home from school complaining of tiredness and stomach pain. the doc felt stool in her belly, yet she just went the day before. now we get to find gluten free fibery foods. haha. pears and apples, she loves them thankfully. the doc checked her for mono, and ran a cbc. all tests came back normal. i just texted doc to see if she ordered a celiac panel, her numbers havent been checked since going gluten free.

we are not a gluten free home, yet i am careful with her foods and keep her things stored separately. of course, i am not with her at school and at friends houses, etc. last year in elem school she didnt mind taking her own lunch, heating it up in the teachers microwave, etc. now at middle school, she loves the salads and baked potatos they offer, so getting her to take her lunch is not happening.

do you think this is gluten related, or typical preteen actions?

thanks in advance!!

has she had her vitamin levels checked? particularly iron, b-vit levels, but also thyroid.

has she had her vitamin levels checked? particularly iron, b-vit levels, but also thyroid.

yes the doc said iron and thyroid were normal. idk if she said b-vit or not.

I would definitely have a Celiac panel done again just to make sure she isn't getting gluten from the school meals. Also, my dd has been gluten free for 4 1/2 years now, and this is the first year she isn't tired all the time. Last year, we had alot of blood work done to try and find out where the fatigue was coming from...she would come home from school and fall asleep for the night before she even ate dinner. Everything was normal too, the only thing I can figure is that either she was getting trace amounts of gluten in something, or it has just taken that long for her to truly get better. Or a combo of the two....I know for myself, even small amounts of gluten that occurs with cross contamination can make me really, really tired for days.