carecare

How Long Can You Suffer After Ingesting Gluten?

Rate this topic

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted. About 2 yrs ago my husband went gluten free and saw great results in how he was feeling but then after 2 months he decided to forget about gluten free living and went back on gluten. Of course his symptoms came back. Well, back in Oct he did a challenge on his crossfit board that was eating paleo to see how eating strictly paleo would benefit your exercise performance. He realized he was feeling much better once again. Instant relief from his bad indigestion and his weekly diarrhea bouts disappeared. He also had so much more energy. So he realized once and for all he needs to avoid gluten. I would like him to get tested but he doesn't want to and well, that is fine I guess. Well, thanksgiving he cheated big time....pie, casserole...and I'm sure just about everything else he ingested had gluten. He was not feeling well for a whole week later. It didn't happen over night either but a few days later but then the bathroom issues appeared and he had problems off and on all week...the week following thanksgiving. I told him that I am sure it was because he ingested all that gluten on Thanksgiving and he questioned it. He didn't think he could still be having effects from the gluten a week later. Do you think that he could have still been having issues a week later because of the ingesting of the gluten? He got his indigestion back thanksgiving evening...which he contributed to gluten but the other issues that started a couple days after thanksgiving and lasted all week he just isnt' sure if it was from the gluten or not. Would that be pretty common to have issues a week later?

Thanks,

CC

The autoimmune reaction is self-sustaining in the gut for up to two weeks. So yes, at least a week of noticing symptoms is totally possible - and for a lot of us, completely normal. (I take a week to feel better myself, and I'm not all that symptomatic.)

I have had it last even longer--3 to 4 weeks!! Or even longer since it can set one up for getting seriously ill with a virus or bacterial infection.

By the way, there are lots of gluten free recipes out there. Consider using them for your whole family this Christmas. A plain rice crust works great for making pie for instance. Its still not the best food to eat due to heavy oils and sugar plus carbs but its way better than the alternative.

Bea