Imanistj

Keeping Bulk Jule's Flour.

Rate this topic

Jule's says the flour has a shelf life of 18 months. I plan to buy Udi's bread so the only flour I will use will be for sweets, mostly. I can't allow myself to bake a lot of goodies because I have very poor will power and always chow down on anything "good." The shipping to NY is costly and all I really want to order is a 5 pound bag. If I buy 6 bags, 30 pounds, I get free shipping. However, I really need to use that flour slowly. Has anyone had a bad experience keeping this flour for a long time. Would freezing work? Thanks.

Jules flour is made up almost exclusively of starches, which last pretty much indefinitely on the shelf. The only ingredient in it which has a shorter shelf life is the corn flour. If you keep it in an airtight container , you will have no problem with it going bad before its stated 18 months. You can freeze it if you want, but it really isn't necessary. If you feel safer doing so, and you have the space, you might keep out the one bag you are using and freeze the rest.

Ask your local health food store to order some for you or contact your local celiac group to see if there are a few other people who would like to put in an order. It never hurts to ask.