Fields

Lightheaded Still

Rate this topic

I'm 58 years old and was self diagnosed in February with gluten intolerance. After losing 25 pounds, throwing up and diarhea daily; near fainting spells weekly, the doctor ran a battery of tests. MRI, CT, heart, ENT and blood work enough for a vampire. All were fine. Earlier I was being treated for acid reflux. After going gluten free, I improved dramatically and the acid reflux went away. I still have light headed spells daily but not to the extreme as before. My Neurologist refuses to believe that there is a correlation between Celiac and neurology. I am still tired but not exhausted. Does anyone else have the light headed problem? If so, did it ever go away. New grandmother needs encouragement.

• Upvote 1

Hello and welcome!

I would suggest you find another neurologist, for one who is informed.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/...61010022602.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15825133

http://www.denvernaturopathic.com/news/celiac.html

I would suggest you get a full metabolic panel done to make sure you are not deficient in minerals or essential vitamins, as both when not in order, can cause your ongoing symptoms, B-12 and Folic Acid deficiency specifically.

Welcome, and I'm very glad that going gluten-free has helped with most of your symptoms :)

How were your BP & HR? I have vaso-vagal syncope episodes (a fancy way of saying "fainting") where my heart rate and blood pressure drop low enough for me to lose consciousness. Hypotension and bradychardia can definitely cause dizziness & lightheadedness. How was your blood sugar? Are you eating often enough? I'm also hypoglycemic and get very dizzy and weak if I don't eat regularly.

I can only speak from my personal experience :) I hope you get to the bottom of it soon & feel better.

Take care,

Jillian

I'm 58 years old and was self diagnosed in February with gluten intolerance. After losing 25 pounds, throwing up and diarhea daily; near fainting spells weekly, the doctor ran a battery of tests. MRI, CT, heart, ENT and blood work enough for a vampire. All were fine. Earlier I was being treated for acid reflux. After going gluten free, I improved dramatically and the acid reflux went away. I still have light headed spells daily but not to the extreme as before. My Neurologist refuses to believe that there is a correlation between Celiac and neurology. I am still tired but not exhausted. Does anyone else have the light headed problem? If so, did it ever go away. New grandmother needs encouragement.
  • Upvote 1

I went to the MAYO clinic in September and had the metobolic workup showing only low platelets for which I'll be retested in a couple of weeks. My lightheadedness has also been refered to as vaso-vagal response. I don't lose consciousness but must lie down immediately. My blood sugar has been fine as well. I generally have low blood pressure. I eat small meals every two hours which does help. Hoping that as time goes by this symptom will cease. Thanks for your response. Sorry you have the same problem but it helps to know I'm not alone with it.

My heart rate and BP have always been normal. But I've had lightheadedness daily for 11 years (I'm only 31), I also have BAD anxiety. I have not been diagnosed with celiac-yet. But I'm investigating. Because I have always had bad eczema, and a whole slew of symptoms come in the past 11 years.

My heart rate and BP have always been normal. But I've had lightheadedness daily for 11 years (I'm only 31), I also have BAD anxiety. I have not been diagnosed with celiac-yet. But I'm investigating. Because I have always had bad eczema, and a whole slew of symptoms come in the past 11 years.

Get tested - it may be the answer you're looking for.

Hi,

I've had trouble with dizziness for years. Every time I stand up too fast, I get really dizzy and everything turns black. I have to stop and grab a wall and then it resolves in about 3-5 seconds. Is this what you are experiencing? If so, I ended up finding out that I have adrenal exhaustion, which is a common side effect of gluten intolerance (because of the severe stress it puts on our bodies). I've been seeing a naturopathic doctor who put me on his regime for several months now and I'm experiencing fewer episodes every week. The adrenals control hormones and electrolytes, etc, so it's all inter-related. As a plus, turns out low cortisol levels (found with adrenal fatigue) also causes lethargy and sluggishness. I'm also so much more energetic now.

I'll add my standard answer.

Yeast.

I had lightheadedness and all of that too, along with neuropathy, all due to hypoglycemia, the cause of the hypoglycemia was yeast.

Probiotics and Candex fixed me up.

Because the balance in our systems is so screwed up it allows yeast to thrive.

• Upvote 1