Julysailor

Need Advice, For Fingding Vegies

Rate this topic

I don't always have time to prepair fresh vegetables, have tried a few canned vegies labeled "Naturally Gluten Free Food", and some frozen vegies and have experienced mild to moderate reactions to them. Does anyone know of any national brands of canned or frozen vegies that are safe? Are you allowed to give brand names or store names here?

Yes, you can name brands here.

My experience with canned or frozen plain veggies is that they are almost universally gluten-free. I can't tell you as to cross contamination, but would think the chances would be much lower in this type of product.

ricahrd

I've never experienced problems with canned or frozen veggies. I suspect you may have experienced cross-contamination in some way from your kitchen or other foods.

I've never been glutened by veggies. We do eat frozen, canned, fresh, store brands usually. I would suspect that your reaction is due to something other than gluten. Maybe you are allergic to or at least sensitive to some vegetables.

I test as allergic to sweet potatoes which give me loose stools, and celery which sometimes makes my eye lids itch. The reactions have lessened as I am healing from the damage gluten did to my intestines.

Remember that if you are allergic to a veggie, you are probably allergic to that whole plant family. Like celery, carrots and parsnips are all in the same plant family so I react to all of them.

You would think frozen veggies would be gluten free... *most* of them are. Id never considered cross contamination when it comes to veggies until shopping at Wal Mart. Wal Mart is great for labeling so shop there for that stuff if you can. I noticed though, that while most of their veggies say "A naturally gluten free food" on them, some frozen peas I bought there once said: "May contain traces of wheat" :-\ GAH! This made my mind consider the possibility that frozen veggies could come from the same facility as wheat products, which sent me down a whole paranoid road once again. So now I am careful about what frozen veggies I buy. But like I said, if you can shop at Wal Mart for that stuff, its not a problem because they will tell you on the label. One of the few things I really like about the evil corporation of Wal Mart, lol.

I have not had any problems with store brand frozen or canned veggies. However do watch out for seasoned or ones in sauces that could contain gluten (not saying they do but could). I only buy plain.

how do you cook your fresh veggies?

some people might say its bad for your veggies, but I microwave all of mine now lol. It is so easy! Apparently the amount of water they are cooked in makes more of a difference than how they are cooked. I googled and found this: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art52758.asp

but I just chop up whatever I want, throw it in a casserole dish (the glass ones), and use no more than one tablespoon of water, sometimes you can just wash them and the amount of water on the veggies if you dont like...dry them off or whatever, is enough to cook them. Just throw the lid on the dish. Broccoli takes like 3-5 minutes usually, same for cauliflower. asparagus doesn't take any time at all, I would only do 2 min before I looked at them next time. 3 made some of them soggy lol. but yeah...so easy and quick, plus you know its gluten free because they are fresh!

how do you cook your fresh veggies?

some people might say its bad for your veggies, but I microwave all of mine now lol. It is so easy! Apparently the amount of water they are cooked in makes more of a difference than how they are cooked. I googled and found this: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art52758.asp

but I just chop up whatever I want, throw it in a casserole dish (the glass ones), and use no more than one tablespoon of water, sometimes you can just wash them and the amount of water on the veggies if you dont like...dry them off or whatever, is enough to cook them. Just throw the lid on the dish. Broccoli takes like 3-5 minutes usually, same for cauliflower. asparagus doesn't take any time at all, I would only do 2 min before I looked at them next time. 3 made some of them soggy lol. but yeah...so easy and quick, plus you know its gluten free because they are fresh!

I either steam them in the microwave if only doing a small serving. If cooking veggies for the entire lot I have a steamer pot for the stove top. My crew just likes plain veggies without butter and with a little salt/pepper.