Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darissa

Walmart Labeled Item "Gluten Free" But States May Contain Wheat!

This is not surprising. "Gluten-free" with no law or guidelines to back it up means "gluten free" is a diet fad right now. Never mind it is currently the only treatment for people who suffer from celiac disease. In corporate eyes it's a marketing gimmick to make extra cash.

The logic is quite simple really.

Can of PAM oil spray - you look at the back, it says 0 g fat per serving.

It's a can of oil.

<1g fat per serving = 0 fat = purchases from the low-fat fad diet crowd.

Until there are official guidelines set in place, "we didn't add any gluten ingredients" = "gluten free."

I was at Wal Mart today. I have been buying the Walmart brand honey ham sandwich meat because it alway said "gluten free." They are coming out with new packaging.

The old packages say "gluten free," the new packages don't. Now, they have added Spanish translations of the ingredients list instead.

Wally World knows where their bread is buttered.

I had given up luncheon meats until I found that one. Now, I don't know that the ingredients have changed, but it does make me wonder.

I guess I will be buying the Hormel brand that clearly states it is gluten free - even the turkey breast.

I was at Wal Mart today. I have been buying the Walmart brand honey ham sandwich meat because it alway said "gluten free." They are coming out with new packaging.

The old packages say "gluten free," the new packages don't. Now, they have added Spanish translations of the ingredients list instead.

Wally World knows where their bread is buttered.

I had given up luncheon meats until I found that one. Now, I don't know that the ingredients have changed, but it does make me wonder.

I guess I will be buying the Hormel brand that clearly states it is gluten free - even the turkey breast.

Argh! That sucks! I always loved to buy Wal-Mart's lunch meats because of the gluten-free label. Another one bites the dust, I guess.