aprildutch

Anyone Else Emotionally Exhuasted?

Rate this topic

I guess I have been unknowingly emotionally eating. Before going Gluten-Free, I always gave myself permission to intuitively eat (have you read the book intuitive eating?) I ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted to. I lost weight doing that, because I quit dieting & started feeding my body. Now I am having trouble again, since I restrict myself so much. I am gluten-free, Dairy free, and avoid chocolate. I can feel my cravings coming back & when I get home after work I have no idea how to process my emotions since I can't just have the foods I want to numb them. They are not ness. bad emotions -- just emotions in general. And now I have to deal with them. I guess mostly I just feel weary of the work of eating this way. I feel isolated. I cooked a lot when I first went gluten free, I was excited and energized by it. I had lost about 10 pounds. Now I am gaining a few pounds back, I feel sluggish again, and need a little encouragement. Anyone have any advice?

I completely understand where you're coming from. I've been in a funk lately too. There are some other factors than just the new gluten-free diet but it plays a role. I've felt isolated recently. Some of that was due to illness. You just don't get out when you're recovering from the flu! I'm a stay-at-home-mom and we started going to a neighborhood play group again. I love the families but in our absence in the fall they turned it into a lunch play group. Despite my precautions I don't think it's going to work. I've had my kids eat beforehand and they still have issues the next day. So that's very, very frustrating! I look forward to the spring as the weather is getting a bit wearing. I also have some concerns over my oldest son floating around in my head, leading to a lot of stress - concerns my husband doesn't seem to share.

So what can I do to fight it? Two things help the most - at least to get me by until I'm out of it. Exercise and church. Exercise makes me feel great. I can't do it every day but when I do, it helps wonders. I've been doing a local jazzercise class. It's a lot of fun, around other women, gets me out and moving. And church. Some days I really don't want to go but if I get myself out the door and there, I feel much better, calmer, more relaxed, ready to get through another week.

That's my two cents. Hope you find something that works for you!

best way to avoid emotional eating is to not be hungry. Eat regular meals, plus snacks. Get in enough fats and protiens to keep you satieted. Eat whole, natural foods as close to how Mother Nature made 'em, rather than packaged manufactured foods. Packaged and manufactured foods, whether gluten free or not, will only contribute to ill health. Whole foods will help you heal, and will also help you balance your moods.