CSC

Celiac + Kidney Stones

Rate this topic

I need your assistance.

I was so excited after reading the article on celiac and kidney stones by John Libonati (http://www.glutenfreeworks.com/article_display.php?article_id=211&id). His article describes me from amebic dysentery, to surgeries and nine years of antibiotics, to celiac disease, and now to my annual production of kidney stones. I have worked so hard over the last ten years, staying on a strict celiac diet. This article was a breakthrough in information for me, but I do not have any answers of

I need your assistance.

I was so excited after reading the article on celiac and kidney stones by John Libonati (http://www.glutenfreeworks.com/article_display.php?article_id=211&id). His article describes me from amebic dysentery, to surgeries and nine years of antibiotics, to celiac disease, and now to my annual production of kidney stones. I have worked so hard over the last ten years, staying on a strict celiac diet. This article was a breakthrough in information for me, but I do not have any answers of

I just stared having kidney stone issues for about 5 months now to the point I am seeing a nephrologist and he has me on 10 mEq (1080 mg) of potassium citrate three times a day to prevent future recurrances of stones. I keep asking him if it is related to my celiac but he keeps saying no. I have read many articles and studies linking the two together because of the mal-aborbtion issue.

Goodness, I had no clue! I have had kidney stone issues for 25 years! I have two 8 mm stones lodged in my left kidney in a dry pocket where even if they did do ultrasound treatment they still could not pass because no fluid pass thru the area and surgery is too intrusive. I can tell you what has worked for me to stop have all the issues, not sure if it will work for you or not. #1 DO NOT drink tap water. The chlorination in tap water was causing the biggest part of my issues. And of course what do they tell you to do but drink more water, ugh. I also drink NO caffeine. My water consumption is 2-2 1/2 liters water daily, approx half of that is mineral water. At the slightest pain in my back I start drinking a liter of 100% cranberry juice a day and no alcohol during this time. I have managed to keep the stones away for years doing this. Careful too with herbs used as diuretics.....made a big mistake this past winter with an herbal supplement and ended up passing small stones (cystals) for 3 days which was extremely painful.