curlyq

Modified Food Starch

Rate this topic

My 6 year old daughter was just recently diagnosed with Celiac. Her doctor does not seem very educated about what is and is not ok (she gave us a handout that had been printed in 1994!). I am switching to a doctor who specializes in Celiac, but until then I want to feed my daughter properly. So my question is, is Modified Food Starch ok? I know that it must state whether it is made with wheat or not. Do I need to worry about it further? Do most celiacs eat it or not?

My 6 year old daughter was just recently diagnosed with Celiac. Her doctor does not seem very educated about what is and is not ok (she gave us a handout that had been printed in 1994!). I am switching to a doctor who specializes in Celiac, but until then I want to feed my daughter properly. So my question is, is Modified Food Starch ok? I know that it must state whether it is made with wheat or not. Do I need to worry about it further? Do most celiacs eat it or not?

In the US, if modified food starch is from a wheat source, it must be labeled as such, ie, modifed food starch (wheat). It should be fine if it doesn't say wheat. On the main page of this site, there is a list of "safe" foods. It's a great resource!