DMarie

Differences In Yeast

Rate this topic

Can someone explain the differences in yeast? I know there is instant, active and then there is yeast for the bread machine (which I think is faster acting than regular yeast).

I am looking at ordering some bulk yeast. Is SAF a good brand of yeast? I use bread machine yeast typically - and like it because the rise time is about 1/2 that of regular yeast. I am thinking the SAF yeast will have the longer rise time? But then the King Arthur website mentions active versus instant. Didn't know there was a difference! :unsure:

Active yeast has to be bloomed in water. It comes in the small packets.

Instant, which is also rapid rise, bread machine, quick rise, and so on, doesn't have to be bloomed and can be added in with your dry ingredients. It also rises faster.

I don't know if you belong to Sam's Club, but their price on yeast is hard to beat. It's two 1 lb bags for around four dollars. The little brown jar runs about $6 at the grocery. I make sure I get one with a long expire date. I put the open one in the freezer. Really, it so much cheaper, you could throw the other one away and do better.

Thanks TrillumHunter! I have a Costco membership - and I saw the yeast there last time - and yes - alot cheaper than what I get at Wal-Mart (and Wal-Mart's jar is about half the price of what grocery stores charge for the same thing).

I'll have to give it a try! :)