This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long Does It Take To Heal?

GluFREEthatsME

GluFREEthatsME Newbie

Hey all,

I've been gluten free for a month now. I've been overweight for quite some time and have heard that people with gluten intolerance are usually underweight. That's a little confusing for me, but I have lost 12 pounds in a month. I'm eating very healthily - 80% organic fruits and veggies, gluten free, dairy free, soy free, low salt, sugar free (except some cane, honey, real maple syrup as sweeteners), no crappy processed foods.

Anyway - I had been suffering for quite some time (stomach pain, digestive problems, acid reflux, etc.) All of that has just about melted away, but wondering how long it REALLY takes to heal. I was diagnosed with CFS/FM in 2003, and suffer a LOT of pain, daily. I'm hoping that this may eventually dissipate, but as yet, I don't feel any better in that department.

Just wondering if there are others like me out there who have actually reversed FM pain through gluten (and other) free diets.

Glad to have found this group and thanks for listening :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

Time to heal is different for everyone. I, too, had chronic pain. Pleurisy, joint pain, muscle pain, daily for 10 years. Most of the pains went away within a month. I still have occasional joint pain, but it seems to be related to specific foods. I have been gluten free for 7 months. I still have a ways to go with healing intesinal damage, but it is so much better than it was. As long as you stick to the diet, you will continue to improve. My rheumatologist is amazed at the difference. My pain was so bad I was taking prednisone at least 3 times a month! Haven't had any steroids at all since going gluten free.

luvs2eat Collaborator

I don't have FM pain, or any pain really. My symptoms were/are all digestive. I can tell you that it took the better part of a YEAR (as I realized I was making a lot of mistakes) before I decided my bowels had returned to "normal."

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Unfortunately for some of us celiac causes us to gain weight instead of lose it. Your body is malnourished so it slows your metabolism and hangs on for dear life to every single calorie you eat. Also it will raise your appetite so you take in too many calories to compensate for the lack of nutrition.

It's a myth that cost me 7 years of my life in illness and 2 horrific pregnancies because a GI doc told me my weight gain assured him that there was no way I could have celiac disease.

GluFREEthatsME Newbie

Thanks for your responses! OMG - I believe I may have had this all of my life! Unfortunately, I guess it CAN go undetected, depending on the severity of the symptoms. Honestly, this is the first time I am eating food that I don't get a stomach ache from. How did I get used to those stomach aches to the point where I thought they were normal after eating. If I were nauseous, I might have suspecting something, but a burning sensation and some discomfort was just annoying.

I didn't know the difference, until I cut out ALL gluten. Wow - now I know what it feels like to eat and not have that discomfort. Man - I feel pretty stupid, but I wonder how many people go through this and not realize.

Thanks Sandsurfgirl - I'm glad to hear that the weight thing is not necessarily a given. You had horrific pregnancies and I couldn't get pregnant at ALL, and had an early menopause at 41. I recently read that Celiac can cause infertility and early menopause. NOW YA TELL ME! I'm kinda angry that doctors still don't realize the kind of damage this can cause and make sure their patients are thoroughly tested for this if there are signs of any digestive problems!

Archived