Kategrad7

How Careful Do I Have To Be?

Rate this topic

Hi!

I was just diagnosed last week, have gone through the cabinets and handed over all of the gluten containing groceries to my housemates and now am wondering, just how careful do I have to be? I am a graduate student living in the middle of nowhere in up-state New York and as a graduate student I am relatively poor. I have read some sites that indicate that I should buy my own cooking supplies (pans, cooking spoons, colanders) but I really don't want to go that extra step unless its really necessary. I have very few intestinal symptoms, most of mine being that I get tired or disorientated, so knowing when something is effecting me is going to be a bit of an issue. How hurtful can environmental gluten be? If I don't have blatant symptoms does that mean that I don't have to be as super careful as some sites are suggesting?

I am wondering this same thing. My issues are mostly ones that seem unrelated. FMS, CFS, Hypoglycemia, exhaustion, weakness.

I am trying to figure out how to keep gluten free in a shared household myself. I will be cooking some gluten items for DH but mostly his things are just snacks or sandwiches, etc.

I am trying to figure out how to keep gluten free in a shared household myself. I will be cooking some gluten items for DH but mostly his things are just snacks or sandwiches, etc.

Sounds like the same situation here as far as cooking goes. I just don't know how careful I have to be because I am still having health issues.

I am intolerant to so many foods that I don't know if I am reacting to something else or still gluten. I've eliminated all the foods I tested intolerant to and some days feel better and other days I don't. I get an extremely sore back, insomnia and depression.

I was extremely anxious before giving up gluten so made one step in the right direction. Also had diarrhea almost every day. The anxiety is much better and most days the diarrhea is.

I am thinking of intentionally eating gluten one day to see how I react. I really don't want to go through the pain it will cause but want to find out if I am doing enough to eliminate gluten contamination.

I had an appointment with the dietician last week and asked her these questions. I fortunately live by myself, but just before diagnosis bought brand new Pampered Chef stainless steel pans, and REFUSE to throw them out or buy new. She told me that as long as they are not scratched and are washed very thoroughly after a gluten item, then I should be fine. Things like wooden spoons and soft plastic (rubber scrapers etc.) should be replaced if possible. She also recommended just washing everything in the dishwasher multiple times to ensure that all gluten has been removed.

I only have mild GI symptoms, so it is hard to say if I am healing properly or not. I can say that I feel better and don't run to the bathroom after eating so I have shown signs of improvement.

I hope that this helps!

Hi!

I was just diagnosed last week, have gone through the cabinets and handed over all of the gluten containing groceries to my housemates and now am wondering, just how careful do I have to be? I am a graduate student living in the middle of nowhere in up-state New York and as a graduate student I am relatively poor. I have read some sites that indicate that I should buy my own cooking supplies (pans, cooking spoons, colanders) but I really don't want to go that extra step unless its really necessary. I have very few intestinal symptoms, most of mine being that I get tired or disorientated, so knowing when something is effecting me is going to be a bit of an issue. How hurtful can environmental gluten be? If I don't have blatant symptoms does that mean that I don't have to be as super careful as some sites are suggesting?

It's quite important. Not all celiacs have strong symptoms, but they are still damaging their intestines, increasing inflammation in the digestive system, and increasing their risk for long term complications. Cross contamination is a definite concern for celiacs.

There are some things you can share in a kitchen - stainless steel pots and pans that are WELL cleaned after using and stainless steel eating utensils, for instance. Cast iron and non-stick pans should not be shared, as cast iron has many small crevices that can hide gluten, and non-stick pans have the same problem the moment a single scratch appears. Colanders need to be unique to gluten free items because it's next to impossible to wash the inner edge of every hole on a colander - and that can be a hiding place for gluten to not be completely removed when washed, even in a dishwasher. Wooden spoons should also not be shared (the are porous, and there's no way to get rid of every bit of gluten in ever last crack), but metal spoons and silicon spatulas (that haven't been torn/scratched/shredded) should be fine to share (I wouldn't share plastic spatulas that scratch more easily than the silicone). Toasters should absolutely NOT be shared, but microwaves can, as long as everyone always uses a plate (and covers splattery food). You can make do with just one of each of these, though - it doesn't have to be a big expenditure.

Tiffany posted the same thing I go by. I am afraid of hidden gluten, so stainless steel is the way I go for pans and utensils. It only takes a tiny bit of gluten to make me sick, though, so I can feel when I get contaminated. Try buying your pans one at time, or go to Wal-Mart for an inexpensive set. You don't need a lot of dishes, just one of each.