NE Mom

Mini Gluten Challenage

Rate this topic

I've been gluten free for about 2 1/2 months. All tests were negative but I'm still waiting on the results from Enterolab. I reintroducted gluten this weekend (today is the third day) and I was expecting to be really sick by now but that isn't the case. I've noticed that I have a burning sensation in my legs and arms, feel more tired than a few days ago, today I have a slight headache, heart palpatations last night, and a little bit of brain fog. I feel like if I wasn't paying close attention I could easily miss these symptoms. I've never had GI symptoms.

If you reintroduced gluten did it take a while before you noticed major symptoms?

I'm feeling confused since I haven't been extremely sick the last few days. I did feel extremely better after removing the gluten two months and all my Fibro symptoms seemed to disappear.

I'd love to hear some of your experiences.....

When I did my challenge my doctor told me it might take from 3 days to a week for the upset stomach to hit but that I might get other issues first, like a headache etc. He was right. My ataxia gets worse right away, I get real depressed and sometimes a headache for the first 3 days then the D hits then I get the bone and muscle pain. The doctor said sometimes it can take a little while for the antibodies to build back up again and that is what can cause a delay in some of the symptoms.

I'm thinking of doing a gluten challenge just to see what happens. I would only eat a small amount of gluten.

I don't know if this is a wise thing to do or not. The only reason I would consider it is that I still am having alot of issues and I want to figure out if it is from cc or from some other food intolerance, which I have plenty of.

When I went off gluten and got careful not to cc, my severe anxiety and diarrhea went away. I still have insomnia most every night, depression some days and pain in my neck, shoulders and back. I get occassional diarrhea.

I want to see if the anxiety and diarrhea return just as a check to help figure out if I've got cc issues. I just dread getting worse but am pretty frustrated with where my health is now.

If it can take three to five days to react to gluten, I still may not have a clear picture. I don't get a stomach ache from it.

One of the reason's I choose to go ahead with the challenage is because the pain had returned in my legs and arms. I also was trying to locate the suspected cc but couldn't find anything. Interestingly, the soreness in my thighs (now I have it in my lower legs)has actually disappeared since eating gluten again-makes me suspect that I may also be intolerant to one of the gluten-free flours or starches.

I had a very difficult time taking that first bite-I was ready to burst into tears at the restaurant. My seven year old was very cute-she stared at me like she was waiting for me to pass out or throw up. LOL

I feel more confused than ever about the gluten since starting this challenage.

One of the reason's I choose to go ahead with the challenage is because the pain had returned in my legs and arms. I also was trying to locate the suspected cc but couldn't find anything. Interestingly, the soreness in my thighs (now I have it in my lower legs)has actually disappeared since eating gluten again-makes me suspect that I may also be intolerant to one of the gluten-free flours or starches.

I suggest you give up the gluten-free flours and starches for now and stick with your basic foods including meats, veggies, fruits and rice. See what happens with that.

Keep us posted.

Day four and I finally hit the brick wall. Terrible headache, fogginess, can hardily keep my eyes open, little tummy ache, constipated.

Looks like I may be on the right track after all.....

Day four and I finally hit the brick wall. Terrible headache, fogginess, can hardily keep my eyes open, little tummy ache, constipated.

Looks like I may be on the right track after all.....

Yep it does sound like you are on the right track. If you don't have to continue with the challenge I would stop it and get back on the diet.