Maddy1

Ninety Nine (99)

Rate this topic

Went to the Ninety Nine a few weeks ago and was thrilled to see French Fries on the gluten-free Menu. I made this remark to the waitress and she said "Why? Potatoes are all Gluten Free". I replied "only if they are cooked in a dedicated fryer that is not shared with breaded items such as onion rings" to which she replied "Oh, onion rings are definately cooked in the same fryer, we don't have enough space here for a fryer just for french fries".

I look at it this way, if the restaurant doesn't have a gluten-free menu then it's MY responsibility that I order correctly, but if they have a specific gluten-free menu then I assume that they have taken the time to learn what gluten-free means and it's importance to the Celiac that they not be contaminated. Especially a nationwide chain.

I have spoken with a company rep and they admitted that it was a problem in their smaller locations because of space and she thanked me for bringing this issue up to them and that they would "take care of it".

Point being, always ask, never assume!

Went to the Ninety Nine a few weeks ago and was thrilled to see French Fries on the gluten-free Menu. I made this remark to the waitress and she said "Why? Potatoes are all Gluten Free". I replied "only if they are cooked in a dedicated fryer that is not shared with breaded items such as onion rings" to which she replied "Oh, onion rings are definately cooked in the same fryer, we don't have enough space here for a fryer just for french fries".

I look at it this way, if the restaurant doesn't have a gluten-free menu then it's MY responsibility that I order correctly, but if they have a specific gluten-free menu then I assume that they have taken the time to learn what gluten-free means and it's importance to the Celiac that they not be contaminated. Especially a nationwide chain.

I have spoken with a company rep and they admitted that it was a problem in their smaller locations because of space and she thanked me for bringing this issue up to them and that they would "take care of it".

Point being, always ask, never assume!

This is the major reason I never eat at cheaper places, unless they have the GIG sign of approval sticker on the entry door! Places like the 99 are no better than McDonald's with regards to the education level of their staff and servers. If smaller restaurants do not have the room for a dedicated fryer, then french fries shouldn't be on the menu there, period.