KekesMom

My 8 Year Old...too Late For Celiac Diagnosis?

Rate this topic

My 8 year old is showing signs of celiacs..is 8 years old too late for a celiac diagnosis? Does it come out of the blue like this?

Celiac disease can be triggered at any time. The average age of diagnosis is actually well into adulthood.

I was 40 when I was diagnosed, so I do not think 8 is too old.

There is no age limit. I was 8 in 1956 and already having problems. I wasn't diagnosed til I was 58 and had a multitude of other problems that may have never eventuated if my doctors over the years had got their heads out of their collectives and joined the dots.

I now have vitamin deficiencies, auto-immune thyroid disease, scoliosis, arthritis and osteoporosis thanks in no small part to my "IBS" diagnosis and the "learn to live with it" solution

My daughter was 9 when she was diagnosed. :-)

My grandmother was in her 70s when she was diagnosed -- eight is DEFINITELY not to late. And if you catch it early, your 8-year old should be spared some of the pain many on this board dealt with for decades.

Good luck.

Never too late. Takes three elements - genetics, gluten and a trigger. The trigger can happen at anytime - stress, illness etc.