bridgetm

Celiac And Hemoglobin?

Rate this topic

While I tested negative for Celiac-sprue (likely a false result since I had been gluten free for almost a week) my hemoglobin was a low 10.8. I'm usually a steady 13.6 so we assumed a lab error at first and wasn't concerned. When I saw him about 2 weeks after the original labs he decided to check it again. No change; 10.8 exactly. He sent me to the hospital lab for a full iron panel. He didn't tell me those exact result, but they worried him enough to put me on iron and vitamin C supplements and told me to check in after 2 months.

I have about 6 weeks until I see him and I'm incredibly curious. I plan to sign up for the school blood drive in 3 weeks just so I can get my hemoglobin checked; I try to donate every time they're at school and though I have a feeling this will be the first time I'll be turned away, I'd really like to know.

Has anyone else had these iron problems? And does it improve in time on a gluten-free diet?

Many, many here have dealt with iron defiency. I think in most cases, it resolves itself after being gluten free, and supplementing iron. I ended up having IV iron infusions because I couldn't tolerate the oral prescription strength. Lots of people here just took OTC iron, maintained the gluten free diet and got their levels back up. It's very common.

Thank you for your response. This forum has been really helpful in considering all of my symptoms and some things I never gave much thought to, but may have been signs all along. I am now only a few days into being completely gluten-free, but I am feeling better much better. Even the year-old eczema-like rash on my upper arms has all but disappeared.

Being tired all the time was my first sympton of having Celiac disease, this was 4 years ago, i took iron supplements. My iron count returned to normal after eating gluten free and taking iron. So now it's 4 years later and i was having heart palpitations so i went to have it checked. I found out i was anemic AGAIN..that was causing the palpitations, so at the present time I am taking iron and my palpitations stopped. I think i will have iron issues forever, regardless of eating gluten free or not, it's very frustrating. I think it's important if you have Celiac disease to check your vitamin levels on a regular basis.