lcharpen

Newly Diagnosed...now What?

Rate this topic

In '07 I gained 30lbs between Memorial day and Fourth of July and an additional 20 unexplained lbs since then... my docs were always puzzled, but finally as just over a week ago, thanks to the help of my own intuition and the internet cool.gif and after tests galore, I was given the dx of non-celiac gluten intolerance. It's such a relief having a definitive explanation for all my seemingly non-related symptoms and even after just doing a trial elimination diet I feel a huge difference in how I feel.

I was told that the gluten intolerance made my thyroid sluggish... I test at the very bottom of what constitutes being within a "normal" range, but my doc tells me that's essentially like getting a C- on a test and considering it a good grade because it isn't failing... in other words not sounding the hypothyroidism alarm, but still not good. And that is why I packed on the pounds and have since struggled to budge them.

Sufficive to say, I'm anxious for the healing to begin and this gluten weight to go away. Did anyone have a similar experience? In general, how long do you feel it took you being on a gluten-free diet to be "healed"? My doc said 3-6 months of being diligently gluten-free and I would reverse the damage, but is this estimate accurate? I don't expect to drop those 30lbs as fast as I put them on, just curious.

Also, any recommendations for vitamins or supplements? Or must-haves for a gluten-free diet?

If it makes a difference, I'm 29, female, workout 3-4 times/week and eat mostly lean proteins and fresh fruits and veggies... was doing whole grains and whole wheat breads and pastas too, but now... not so much. wink.gif

Any advice you can provide this newbie is greatly appreciated!

I don't have any answers for you since I'm in the same boat! I've been gluten free for a month now and still don't feel better. I also have had trouble losing weight and am hoping that once the gluten is out of my system that it will be easier. Fingers crossed for both of us!

The time it takes to feel better is different for everyone. I felt immediately better, then took a turn for the worse because of vitamin deficiencies and secondary intolerances. I wrote this a few weeks ago to help newbies get through. HIH