BoyzMomma

Did I Get "glutened"?

Rate this topic

My Doctor diagnosed me with Celiac based on my many symptoms and very postitive blood tests and i have been eating gluten free for about a week and 1/2. i felt SO much better after just 3 days...truely amazing...at a week i felt like a new person, not 100% but probably 80% better. Then last night my tummy started to roll...and grumble and roll and grumble...i got the nasty burps and then diarrhea all morning. Do you suppose i got glutened..or should i expect flare ups of my old symptoms for a while yet? i realize im not even close to being healed but im curious because i felt so much better and then had this set back...

what have you eaten in the last 24 hours?

I have beenn gluten free since September 2009 and I still get caught by something and it can take up to 72 hours for it to hit. If you eat out you can "glutened" very easily- I went with my husband to Cheddars a couple of weeks ago and explained that I was gluten intolerent and had Celiac and if they put anything with wheat, rye or barley near my food I would become seriously ill -

I ordered a salad and a baked potato. The salad came with their delicious honey butter roll lying on my salad!

I immediately sent it back to the kitchen asking for a completely new bowl and salad with NO bread - I think they just took the roll off and brought me the same bowl back because about 2 1/2 days later I had a severe attack - and was in bed for 3 days. My symptoms are not diarreah now but vomiting. Phenergan and sleep are the only things that help.

Expect flare ups no matter how careful you are and watch for cross contamination - it can happen so very easily!