This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Frustrated With Results Of Endo. Biopsy

Tummy Frustration

Tummy Frustration Rookie

Hi,

This is my first time on here. I have not yet been diagnosed with Celiac Disease, but I have convinced myself that that is what is wrong with my stomach. On March 17th, I had an Endo. with biopsy done. This morning, I was told that my results were "negative," which I figured would end up being the case. Sorry if this bores anyone lol but I thoguht I'd ramble about my stomach probs. and see if anyone could provide any feedback. When I was in grammar school (I am 28 now), my parents were told that I had a "nervous stomach." Whenever I had a test or something to make me nervous, I would be dying in the bathroom with diarrhea. Also, if I had too much ice cream, I would be dying as well..yet, I was never told to watch lactose or anything. Throughout high school, I cannot recall any problems with my stomach. Around 2002 (give or take a yr.), I began suffering from chronic constipation. I self-diagnosed myself with having IBS since that was all I heard about and my G.I. prescribed Zelnorm & aciphex...Zelnorm was ineffective as time progressed. After a few yrs. with that Dr., I switched to a diff. G.I. Dr. (B/c when I told him I was bloated 24/7, he claimed I should do sit-ups b/c i had a "good 5inches of fat." It was not fat at all) lol anyways, with the 2nd dr. he prescribed Miralax and Zelnorm. I had a colonoscopy & endo. done back in 2005. The only results were Gastritis & hiatal hernia from the Endo. I was prescribed prevacid, which I used for a bit. After some time, I was not happy with the constant bloating/constipation and did not want to rely on meds., so I went to a nutritionist until my insurance visits ran out. About 2 yrs. ago, I went for monthly colonics to help "clean myself out" for about a yr 1/2 (I know people have mixed opinions on that.) Also, 2 yrs. ago, I began going to a therapist- I have generalized anxiety disorder- which I know contributes to my stomach issues.

For a whole week in the fall and another week last spring, I had nausea and pretty bad diarrhea each morning, but the G.i. Dr. did not seem concerned. Typically, I'm bloated, constipated (currently taking miralax and that helps with constipation a bit), and gassy. I also was told I was anemic in December. From time to time (since I was in grammar school), I've had low iron (which was assumed b/c I didn't each veggies often enough.

I've been going to kickboxing classes 3-5 times a wk. since November, so one would think my bloating would improve, but "eh" I still feel uncomfortable. On rare occasions, I will actually have "flat stomach days"...which I really miss. lol So sorry for rambling, but I'm convinced I have celiac disease and do not know which step to take next. I also have brittle nails that are usually peeling and my top front teeth seem to have the enamel wearing away (I read those are symptoms as well).

I would greatly appreciate any feedback!

-Steph :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

Steph,

It certainly seems you have the symptoms. So here are a couple of things to think about. You may very well be Celiac. The small intestine is over 30 ft long. It could be very easy to miss some of the damage. You may be gluten intolerant, which comes with all the symptoms of Celiac, but tests will always be negative.

You've been so uncomfortable for so long, why not give the diet a strict try? you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

If you need help along the way in becoming gluten free, you will have plenty to friends here :P

Janie

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I also advise you to give the diet a good strict try. No one knows what your body needs better than your body.

nora-n Rookie

If you have anemia and other deficiencies, then you could have gut damage from gluten. I agree with the others, do try a strict gluten free diet.

Maybe even read up on the scd diet, which often does a lot of good with even more severe gut diseases.

Some need to combine that with the low oxalate diet, as oxalates typically cause diarrhea symptoms in peolpl who lack the bacteria that is supposed to break down oxalate. If you ever had antibiotics, that bacteria is gone. There are charts at the low oxalate website that wash the scd food list agains teh LOD food lists.

WheatChef Apprentice

when I told him I was bloated 24/7, he claimed I should do sit-ups b/c i had a "good 5inches of fat."

Wow, these boards are excellent sources for examples of how having an M.D. doesn't prevent you from being an idiot.

Anyways, sounds like it's time for you to take the real test, the diet test. Don't let a not always conclusive test (biopsy) get in the way of finding out what's really going on in your body. If gluten really is your problem then you won't have to worry about that bloating once you go gluten free.

Stylo Rookie

For a whole week in the fall and another week last spring, I had nausea and pretty bad diarrhea each morning, but the G.i. Dr. did not seem concerned. Typically, I'm bloated, constipated (currently taking miralax and that helps with constipation a bit), and gassy. I also was told I was anemic in December. From time to time (since I was in grammar school), I've had low iron (which was assumed b/c I didn't each veggies often enough.

I've been going to kickboxing classes 3-5 times a wk. since November, so one would think my bloating would improve, but "eh" I still feel uncomfortable.

This sounds like me, constpiated but with diarhea, nausea here and there. It's nice we can talk about bathroom issues, I've never felt like I could talk to anyone about this and hear I read others with the same experiences.

The kickboxing sounds like my mom, she has this puffy stomach she can't get rid of and she was diagnosed with IBF. She did kickboxing all the time and her stomach is still puffy. The woman is a size six!

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, but either way I am planning on going on the diet. I did atkins once and felt pretty good, but hated the lack of fruit and veggies. I've been eating meals without wheat and then eating ones with wheat and seeing how I feel, I notice that the stomach pains and the sickness come after a lot of wheat is consumed.

Either way, just do the diet and see how you feel. That's the best tell. I'm looking forward to losing my puffball stomach :)

Tummy Frustration Rookie

Steph,

It certainly seems you have the symptoms. So here are a couple of things to think about. You may very well be Celiac. The small intestine is over 30 ft long. It could be very easy to miss some of the damage. You may be gluten intolerant, which comes with all the symptoms of Celiac, but tests will always be negative.

You've been so uncomfortable for so long, why not give the diet a strict try? you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

If you need help along the way in becoming gluten free, you will have plenty to friends here :P

Janie

-ThanX for the info. I'm a teacher and off for spring break starting tomorrow, so i plan on researching what to eat/not eat while I'm off and try my best to be strict :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tummy Frustration Rookie

Wow, these boards are excellent sources for examples of how having an M.D. doesn't prevent you from being an idiot.

Anyways, sounds like it's time for you to take the real test, the diet test. Don't let a not always conclusive test (biopsy) get in the way of finding out what's really going on in your body. If gluten really is your problem then you won't have to worry about that bloating once you go gluten free.

-Yeah seriously! That Dr. was such an idiot. He told my best friend to lose some weight when she complained of her bloating not improving (and she wasn't fat either). I'll work on the diet. I think my doctor is going to think I'm a crazy hypochondriac if I tell him I want more tests. lol I'm determined to eventually get a correct diagnosis, rather than just "OH you have IBS"

Tummy Frustration Rookie

This sounds like me, constpiated but with diarhea, nausea here and there. It's nice we can talk about bathroom issues, I've never felt like I could talk to anyone about this and hear I read others with the same experiences.

The kickboxing sounds like my mom, she has this puffy stomach she can't get rid of and she was diagnosed with IBF. She did kickboxing all the time and her stomach is still puffy. The woman is a size six!

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, but either way I am planning on going on the diet. I did atkins once and felt pretty good, but hated the lack of fruit and veggies. I've been eating meals without wheat and then eating ones with wheat and seeing how I feel, I notice that the stomach pains and the sickness come after a lot of wheat is consumed.

Either way, just do the diet and see how you feel. That's the best tell. I'm looking forward to losing my puffball stomach :)

YEah really! It's great to find so many people on here who have the same problems. It''s funny b/c my best friend has the same issues and we'll be like "YAyy i pooped today!" without being grossed out..anyone else would be like uhhh thanx for sharing :P

Aww that sux your mom has the same problems after kickboxing! LAst month, I had a full week of non-bloating and every morning I was like "Omg Yay it's flat" lol my friends thinks I'm crazy when I say i'm feeling gross and bloated...I looked pregnant sometimes with the bloating, yet i'm like a size 1/2-3/4.

How did the visit to the Dr. go the other day?

We can work on losing the puffball Buddha BEllies! :-)

Stylo Rookie

The visit was good, he understood what I was saying and ordered some tests. I said I want to go gluten way either way, because I had felt so good when I had done atkins and he was supportive.

I have one friend I can talk to about bodily functions, it's awesome :D

And yeah, I get the pregnant belly too. It's depressing when you wake up and it's normal and then by the end of the day it's distended and in pain.

Tummy Frustration Rookie

The visit was good, he understood what I was saying and ordered some tests. I said I want to go gluten way either way, because I had felt so good when I had done atkins and he was supportive.

I have one friend I can talk to about bodily functions, it's awesome :D

And yeah, I get the pregnant belly too. It's depressing when you wake up and it's normal and then by the end of the day it's distended and in pain.

That's good about your Dr. visit. I think mine is satisfied with the IBS diagnosis. He just told me the other wk. to take Miralax and Prilosec for my heartburn. sO, I guess it's up to me now :P

That's good you have a friend to share that stuff with. hehe. It helps

The pregnant belly blows! I get the same way when I wake up like wOoHOo and then midday i'm like WTf?!

Mrs. N Rookie

Regarding the anxiety, I have found that ingesting dairy causes me to feel like there is a black cloud over me and I want to cry. It's horrible! I, too, was told that I had a nervous stomach. Funny how I'm not quite so "nervous" without gluten and dairy in my diet.

I wouldn't worry too much about what the average MD says about this particular issue. Many of them have no idea what they're talking about. Thankfully, mine did.

Stylo, I just want to clarify something:

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, but either way I am planning on going on the diet. I did atkins once and felt pretty good, but hated the lack of fruit and veggies.
I've been eating meals without wheat and then eating ones with wheat and seeing how I feel
, I notice that the stomach pains and the sickness come after a lot of wheat is consumed.

If you have Celiac Disease or gluten intolerance, you need to avoid gluten, not just wheat. You probably know that and were using wheat because it's sometimes easier to say wheat when we're used to talking to the uninitiated :), but I wanted to make sure you know that there's a big difference between gluten and wheat alone when it comes to your body's ability to heal.

I wish you both much success in your journeys to better health! :)

Archived