Guest Elle2

Salad Dressings

Rate this topic

Guest Elle2

We are awaiting Promethius Celiac Plus test results but have been trying to be gluten-free and have gone from horrible gastric discomfort every day to 2-3 times in the last 3 weeks. We had a bottle of Ken's Bleu Cheese salad dressing in the house. Their statement (on their site and in their e-mail to me when I asked the question) says that this product does not contain gluten IN THE RECIPE. What I was hoping to hear was that this product does not contain gluten IN THE BOTTLE. I just thought it was a very odd way to put it and I have to question whether or not it is safe. My husband used it on his salad tonight figuring it was and had a bad reaction easily within a half hour of eating. We are very new to this and are still trying to figure out if gluten is the problem. Removal of it from the diet has enabled him to eat yogurt and have milk in cereal with no issues. Thanks!

We are awaiting Promethius Celiac Plus test results but have been trying to be gluten-free and have gone from horrible gastric discomfort every day to 2-3 times in the last 3 weeks. We had a bottle of Ken's Bleu Cheese salad dressing in the house. Their statement (on their site and in their e-mail to me when I asked the question) says that this product does not contain gluten IN THE RECIPE. What I was hoping to hear was that this product does not contain gluten IN THE BOTTLE. I just thought it was a very odd way to put it and I have to question whether or not it is safe. My husband used it on his salad tonight figuring it was and had a bad reaction easily within a half hour of eating. We are very new to this and are still trying to figure out if gluten is the problem. Removal of it from the diet has enabled him to eat yogurt and have milk in cereal with no issues. Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

It is probable from the statement that the recipe is gluten free that the salad dressing is made on lines shared with gluten products (they cleanse he lines between runs, but for the super sensitive there still seems to be some gluten residue which contaminates the product and causes a reaction.) You might want to limit your use of processed products made in shared facilities (it will usually so state on the label).

Something to think about with blue cheese - here: http://www.celiac.ca/bluecheese.php

I've just always stayed away from blue cheese - its easier that way.

What other things did you have to eat for dinner? Anything else that was processed? Any sauces, etc?

Guest Elle2

Nothing else at dinner that had any possibility of containing gluten. For the most part, we eat very little processed foods and I usually make my own "sauces" and will likely start making my own salad dressings, although Newman's own SEEMS to be okay.

Elle2

Something to think about with blue cheese - here: http://www.celiac.ca/bluecheese.php

I've just always stayed away from blue cheese - its easier that way.

What other things did you have to eat for dinner? Anything else that was processed? Any sauces, etc?