DAKS-81

Does It Get Worse Before It Gets Better?

Rate this topic

My mother was diagnosed with celiac disease a few months ago and, because I had many of the same symptoms as she had, I decided to eliminate gluten and see if I felt better. I'm wondering if it's common to feel worse before you feel better? I've been stricly gluten free for two months. Since then I'm experiencing more nausea and general stomach upset than usual. My stomach is also much more sensitive to large meals, anything greasy, or anything sugary. I intially started having more bouts with diarrhea than usual. This has now transitioned to more bouts of constipation. I'm sorry if this is TMI, but this issue has caused my first experience with hemorrhoids. :unsure:

I've had a full CBC done, a BMP, x-rays, and testing for h. pylori. Everything has come back fine. I thought that this recent bout of "illness" was something unrelated to celiac disease, but now I'm wondering if there's some correlation. Anyone have any experiences or thoughts?

My mother was diagnosed with celiac disease a few months ago and, because I had many of the same symptoms as she had, I decided to eliminate gluten and see if I felt better. I'm wondering if it's common to feel worse before you feel better? I've been stricly gluten free for two months. Since then I'm experiencing more nausea and general stomach upset than usual. My stomach is also much more sensitive to large meals, anything greasy, or anything sugary. I intially started having more bouts with diarrhea than usual. This has now transitioned to more bouts of constipation. I'm sorry if this is TMI, but this issue has caused my first experience with hemorrhoids. :unsure:

I've had a full CBC done, a BMP, x-rays, and testing for h. pylori. Everything has come back fine. I thought that this recent bout of "illness" was something unrelated to celiac disease, but now I'm wondering if there's some correlation. Anyone have any experiences or thoughts?

I have had a similar experience. I was diagnosed with celiac in November. Very little changed with my diet change even though I have been very strict. I ended up having emergency surgery to have my gallbladder removed in Febuary. Some of your symptoms sound very much like what can commonly happen when the gallbladder is struggling. I believe that there is a connection with celiac disease and gallbladder problems. I had been having gallbladder problems for a while before going on a gluten free diet, but they got much worse onece I had been on the diet for about a month. I hope you figure out what's wrong soon. Health problems are very discouraging.

I got worse at first. But now I don't see it as "worse" than as "more sensitive"--to dairy, harsh grains, and most refined foods. It's funny how the moment you let go of the main baddy--gluten--your body suddenly goes "Ahem" and demands a break from other things, as well. I think of my body as being in "cleaning" mode right now, and the less bad foods I give it, the happier it is.

Perhaps you could try eliminating dairy and soy for a while? Or start keeping a food diary?

And how is your mother feeling?

I definitely got worse when I went gluten-free. I am now in my 6th week, and I finally am encountering times when I actually feel I'm improving. It doesn't take much to send me backwards again, however, such as letting myself get over-tired or "stressed-out", eating something that's not a usual part of my diet (even if it is gluten-free), and doing anything that even remotely resembles a work-out (it's been about 2 months since I've been able to work out, and I miss it like crazy - I've had trouble with bouts of extreme muscle weakness and headaches when I have attempted to exercise). Some folks here have also talked about 'gluten withdrawal' as having a role for those of us who feel worse and not better for a long time.