wjp

Problems Taking Calcium

Rate this topic

Doctors are wanting me to take calcium and vitamin D because of some bone thinning. Before being diagnosed Celiac, I found I could not take calcium because it caused a lot of pain in my stomach. Tried all brands and kinds (even tums hurts my stomach). Been gluten free since 01/10 and started taking calcium about 1 week ago. Been taking vitamin D for over a year because of being deficient. Thought things seem o.k. but after about 4 days, stomach pain - even waking up at night, especially last night. Does anyone else have this problem and do you have any suggestions? Tried taking it with meals, even went down to one a day (suppose to take 2) and I am just miserable this morning. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Doctors are wanting me to take calcium and vitamin D because of some bone thinning. Before being diagnosed Celiac, I found I could not take calcium because it caused a lot of pain in my stomach. Tried all brands and kinds (even tums hurts my stomach). Been gluten free since 01/10 and started taking calcium about 1 week ago. Been taking vitamin D for over a year because of being deficient. Thought things seem o.k. but after about 4 days, stomach pain - even waking up at night, especially last night. Does anyone else have this problem and do you have any suggestions? Tried taking it with meals, even went down to one a day (suppose to take 2) and I am just miserable this morning. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Have you tried Kirkman Labs? They have a hypoallergenic line and are the only multivitamin and vitamin D supplement that I can tolerate.

http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/Hypoallergic_Product.aspx

Is the calcium gluten free? Do you have other sensitivities? What about soy and dairy free. Tums (brand name) were not gluten free the last time I checked.

You try taking it with a glass of orange juice if it's gluten free. My dd just saw a nutritionist who said to split up calcium doses for better absorption. I guess our bodies can only absorb so much at a time.