Shannonlass

No Symptoms After Glutening

Rate this topic

I am starting to think that I may not be having any symptoms after I've ingested gluten. I had one suspected case of it a week after I went gluten-free but nothing since then really. After that occasion I got pretty bad diarrhea but nothing like that has happened in the 8 weeks since and I am pretty sure I must have come into contact with gluten since then (I'm not assuming for a second I am having that much success that quickly with the diet or doing it that perfectly!)

I have had occasions where my tummy has felt sore and a little crampy but nothing along the lines of what has been discussed here. My bowel movements are always changing but that is standard for me so I cannot use it to judge.

So the logical explanation is that I am an asymptomatic celiac which sucks because how can I be really sure I am doing the diet right if my body isn't giving me any clues. :( Any advice people?

I am starting to think that I may not be having any symptoms after I've ingested gluten. I had one suspected case of it a week after I went gluten-free but nothing since then really. After that occasion I got pretty bad diarrhea but nothing like that has happened in the 8 weeks since and I am pretty sure I must have come into contact with gluten since then (I'm not assuming for a second I am having that much success that quickly with the diet or doing it that perfectly!)

I have had occasions where my tummy has felt sore and a little crampy but nothing along the lines of what has been discussed here. My bowel movements are always changing but that is standard for me so I cannot use it to judge.

So the logical explanation is that I am an asymptomatic celiac which sucks because how can I be really sure I am doing the diet right if my body isn't giving me any clues. :( Any advice people?

I know people who are like that and it takes a LOT to make them react. I am not HIGHLY sensitive, but sensitive enough for a Amy's to catch me off guard. I think you may be reacting with the upset stomach and cramping. AND, once you know what's in stuff it's easy to avoid. So you may just be effectively avoiding it! I really would rather be asymptomatic than worrying about throwing up in public lol.

I know I am perhaps lucky. I think I may have to start paying a lot more attention to my body to really know when I have been glutened. As I type this I *think* I might have been exposed but 2 hours later I feel fine. No cramps, nothing (as yet!)

That's pretty darn lucky. Honestly, I'm jealous. Lol. But keep paying attention. [; You'll figure it out.

Oh, and everyone is different. [: Their bodies react differently. I throw up just 10 minutes after being glutened and I'm weak for 1~3 weeks afterward. Others are done within days or even hours.

It all depends on the person.

There is a whole thread on this topic too - "how long are you binned after a glutening" or something like that. People are extremely varied in their reactions - both in symptoms & in duration...

It took me a while to figure it out too. I was so used to a little bloating here, a cramp there...that a slight discomfort seemed so normal I hardly would notice. However - I'm getting better about listening to my body. I was crazing yogurt and all I had was my husbands Activia vanilla...I read that it's processed in a facility that has wheat...ate it any way...and now I am bloated and just a bit crampy.

As you get more in-tune with your body you'll pick up on all those little signs that you got so used to just dealing with before you realized what was going on.