quartnaz

Worried About Stomach Pains.

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with celiac disease about 7 years ago. I've been on and off the diet (through high school and college) and have recently decided (about two months ago) to get back on track and cut out the gluten. One of my main concerns was a sharp pain I've been having in my abdomen. It's under my belly button to my left. I went to see my doctor about a few weeks after I started my diet back up and he told me to come back in 6 weeks to see if the pain went away with a proper diet. It hasn't. I'm seeing him again next Wednesday but it's worrying me. It's a dull achy pain randomly and then it becomes a sharp pain after I eat. Sometimes the area is sensitive to the touch, sometimes it isn't.

Has anyone had these symptoms before? Is this something I should push to be tested through biopsy, etc?

I was diagnosed with celiac disease about 7 years ago. I've been on and off the diet (through high school and college) and have recently decided (about two months ago) to get back on track and cut out the gluten. One of my main concerns was a sharp pain I've been having in my abdomen. It's under my belly button to my left. I went to see my doctor about a few weeks after I started my diet back up and he told me to come back in 6 weeks to see if the pain went away with a proper diet. It hasn't. I'm seeing him again next Wednesday but it's worrying me. It's a dull achy pain randomly and then it becomes a sharp pain after I eat. Sometimes the area is sensitive to the touch, sometimes it isn't.

Has anyone had these symptoms before? Is this something I should push to be tested through biopsy, etc?

Your left upper quadrant is stomach and intestines. Your pancreas is lower than your stomach. You might want to ask your doctor for an ultrasound of your pancreas. There is also a chance that your "guts" have found a divert in that area. For me it's in the upper left. When I get glutened, the gas from the episode builds up and is immoveable until I get everything out of my system. My doctor said it's normal for me and it could be for you. But given from what I've read on the forums about the correlations between diabetes and Celiac (and your not-so-strict adherence to the dietary lifestyle), you might have done some damage to your pancreas. Best way to tell is an ultrasound or contrast CT.

If it turns out to be a gas pocket, you could go see a chiropractor. The adjustment can help move your guts around and redistribute the gas in your gut so it's not all pushing the limits of just one place. That's what I do and it works for me. Be sure it's a chiropractor you trust. There are some pretty terrible ones out there that can make it worse.

Did you ever find out what this pain was from? This is exactly the pain I am having. It hurts to wear a belt or tighter pants/skirts because they put pressure on my side when I sit.