kbidarch

"night Terrors" And Gluten?

Rate this topic

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, or not... still navigating my way around here. :) My daughter, who has a positive blood test but is waiting on the scope, has begun having night terrors, in addition to several other behavioral issues that have cropped up recently. Naturally, I have been wondering if it's a result of the gluten consumption. Has anybody else noticed a connection between gluten consumption and night terrors? She will begin screaming, sometimes 2-3 times in one night, without actually fully waking up. My son did the same thing, and we suspect gluten intolerance with him as well. (Incidentally, one other child of ours has never had night terrors, and is hands-down the healthiest of the bunch; we've never suspected Celiac with her).

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, or not... still navigating my way around here. :) My daughter, who has a positive blood test but is waiting on the scope, has begun having night terrors, in addition to several other behavioral issues that have cropped up recently. Naturally, I have been wondering if it's a result of the gluten consumption. Has anybody else noticed a connection between gluten consumption and night terrors? She will begin screaming, sometimes 2-3 times in one night, without actually fully waking up. My son did the same thing, and we suspect gluten intolerance with him as well. (Incidentally, one other child of ours has never had night terrors, and is hands-down the healthiest of the bunch; we've never suspected Celiac with her).

I have been suffering from night terrors for a few years now. I just recently found out I had celiac and have completely cut all gluten out, but occasionally I still have a night terror. It seems every night I dream something awful and I wake up soaked from sweat. My doctor thought it could be from cutting out all the gluten which in turn cut out a lot added hormones from meats and foods. Not sure if this helps, but I know where you are coming from!

My 9 year old son has had horrible night terrors (or nightmares, the jury is out on this one) for most of his life. Since going gluten-free three months ago, the night terrors have disappeared and his sleep is much less restless. However, he still wakes up throughout the night and will not be alone. I think that years of nightmares have caused a lot of residual anxiety. I hope things improve for your daughter!

Yes. I have a 4 year old son who was diagnosed w/Celiac about 6 months ago. He has had frequent night terrors since he was about 2 years old. He would wake up screaming and talking with his eyes open, but he was not really awake, and he was nearly impossible to comfort. It seems his night terrors have gotten better since he's been gluten free, but still has them rarely. Never thought the two were related until I saw your post. Very interesting!

In addition to the previous post, I also have a 2 year old son, no signs of Celiac at this time and NO night terrors either!

I suppose it's possible, seeing the other poster's stories. However, my grand-daughter has night terrors. She is still a baby and has not yet had any gluten introduced into her diet. So it's possible it could be unrelated.