Nor_TX

Daiya Cheese

Rate this topic

I have just heard about this non-dairy guten free cheese product. It is carried at Whole Foods and is a bit pricey. I was wondering if anyone had tried it and what you thought of it. I am dreaming of some quinoa pasta mixed with non-dairy margarine and stringy cheese....*sigh*

I've had the mozzarella. It's quite good, though a bit on the salty side. Maybe it's just me because I haven't really read anywhere about it being salty, but to me it most definitely is.

That's not to say it isn't good, however. It's very tasty and it's very stringy. It makes excellent grilled cheese! I just can't use it for nachos because the salt on the chips plus the salty cheese just overpower it way too much.

I really like the Daiya cheese. We've used the cheddar and Italian blend. I like it much better than Follow Your Heart. My kid who isn't lactose intolerant (like the rest of us are) says he thinks it's just as good as "cow cheese".

We made a gluten-free, mac & cheese on Friday using this cheese, some almond milk, garlic powder, onion powder, and some Parma vegan parmesan. It was really good. (The Parma is also gluten free.)

I've used it on a pizza. I also thought it was salty, but fine. I'd use it again, and I think pasta would be a particularly good fit.