alysongreg

Gluten Free And Not Wheat Free?

Rate this topic

I am newer to all of this. Can something be gluten free but NOT wheat free? Thanks!!

In some specific circumstances, wheat may be the starting point for something that is very highly processed so that no gluten remains in the final product. Gluten is the protein part of wheat. Wheat contains other substances as well. But as a general rule, wheat implies gluten.

I am newer to all of this. Can something be gluten free but NOT wheat free? Thanks!!

IMHO no.

Gluten to a person with Celiac involves wheat, barley, malt and rye. Wheat Free would not include the other offending proteins of barley, malt and rye.

As Raven said, to answer your question.... no.

The question was not whether wheat-free was gluten-free, but rather if it was possible to be gluten-free while still containing a wheat derived ingredient. It wasn't about rye or barley. But wheat does mean gluten, except in some very specific and uncommon situations.

The question was not whether wheat-free was gluten-free, but rather if it was possible to be gluten-free while still containing a wheat derived ingredient. It wasn't about rye or barley. But wheat does mean gluten, except in some very specific and uncommon situations.

Oh my goodness!!! Thank you Peter for clearing that up. :D