Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alysongreg

Gluten Free And Not Wheat Free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

In some specific circumstances, wheat may be the starting point for something that is very highly processed so that no gluten remains in the final product. Gluten is the protein part of wheat. Wheat contains other substances as well. But as a general rule, wheat implies gluten.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I am newer to all of this. Can something be gluten free but NOT wheat free? Thanks!!

IMHO no.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Gluten to a person with Celiac involves wheat, barley, malt and rye. Wheat Free would not include the other offending proteins of barley, malt and rye.

As Raven said, to answer your question.... no.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

The question was not whether wheat-free was gluten-free, but rather if it was possible to be gluten-free while still containing a wheat derived ingredient. It wasn't about rye or barley. But wheat does mean gluten, except in some very specific and uncommon situations.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

The question was not whether wheat-free was gluten-free, but rather if it was possible to be gluten-free while still containing a wheat derived ingredient. It wasn't about rye or barley. But wheat does mean gluten, except in some very specific and uncommon situations.

Oh my goodness!!! Thank you Peter for clearing that up. :D

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien