Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jenngolightly

Feeling About A Billion Times Better

I was really hesitant to start the SCD diet. It is ridiculously difficult and restrictive, but I feel better than I have in years - probably 15 years at the least.

It's been almost 4 weeks on the diet and I can eat about 20 foods now, which makes for very boring meals, but whenever I open the fridge and start to feel sorry for myself, I remember all of the horrible-ness I was feeling four weeks ago when I was only "gluten-free." So far I have found that I have an intolerance to snow crab and artichokes. I start a new food every 3 days.

I started feeling better on the SCD diet almost immediately (except for the mental issue of not being able to eat anything I wanted - sans gluten). At the start, I did have withdrawal symptoms from giving up chocolate, but that subsided after a week. Now I don't crash at 3pm. I still have energy to go-go-go until quitting time at 5pm. I don't need naps, either. I seriously thought I had chronic fatigue syndrome until I did this diet. Now I have so much energy! My migraines were coming very frequently - but I haven't had any since the diet started. No more gas - toots nor burps. No more acne. No bone pain in my ankles. I could go on...

Just wanted to share a success story. It was hard to give up candy and junk food cold turkey, I was an ADDICT. But I want to encourage you to try it if you are having residual issues that haven't gone away from just giving up gluten/dairy/soy. But beware that the SCD diet is HARD and takes a lot of will power, expense, time, and constant shopping (for me anyway). If you're on the fence about it, try it for a month. That was my commitment. I'm almost at my one month birthday. Then I'll try it for another month.

Jenn

dx celiac 9/2007: gluten-free 9/2007

corn intolerant: corn-free 5/2010

nut allergy: nut-free 8/2010

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Congrats, always great to hear positive outcomes. What the SCD diet? Is is like the elimination diet?

2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)

2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life

Congrats, always great to hear positive outcomes. What the SCD diet? Is is like the elimination diet?

Oh, yes... sorry - Specific Carbohydrate Diet. There's a huge thread here on the "other food intolerance" forum. Also, you can google it. Basically means no starches or sugars or carbs. Nothing processed. Lots of meats, fruits, veggies, beans, and nuts.

Jenn

dx celiac 9/2007: gluten-free 9/2007

corn intolerant: corn-free 5/2010

nut allergy: nut-free 8/2010