Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hello-

My 2-year old son was JUST diagnosed with Celiac Disease last week. We've cleared out our kitchen of all gluten and gluten-contaminated items and I've checked out our local grocery stores' gluten-free sections. All in all, I'm overwhelmed, but feeling hopeful. All of that said, I'm confused by a few ingredients still. What is the deal with "maltodextrin." I have two resources telling me it is ok and, yet, one company responded to my inquiry about whether or not their product was gluten-free by telling me that maltodextrin is an ingredient for people with Celiac to avoid.

Is it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Maltodextrin used to appear on some lists as a concern, but if it is simply labeled as "maltodextrin," it is gluten-free. It is made from corn, potato, or rice.

USA Code of Federal Regulations

Sec. 184.1444 Maltodextrin

CAS Reg. No. 9050-36-6. It is a nonsweet nutritive saccharide polymer that consists of D- glucose units linked primarily by [alpha]-1-4 bonds and has a dextrose equivalent (DE) of less than 20. It is prepared as a white powder or concentrated solution by partial hydrolysis of cornstarch, potato starch or rice starch with safe and suitable acids and enzymes.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=184.1444

Note: FDA also permits the use of other starches including wheat. For example, if wheat is used it must be labeled "wheat maltodextrin".

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I'd add that it depends on what country you are in, and what country you are buying the product from, as labeling laws differ, and preferred ingredients used to make maltodextrin differ from country to country

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

I'd add that it depends on what country you are in, and what country you are buying the product from, as labeling laws differ, and preferred ingredients used to make maltodextrin differ from country to country

True, that. The OP is in the US, and food sold in the US must conform to US label rules, regardless of country of origin.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007