Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I stopped eating gluten completely about 3 months ago. Since then my GI issues basically stopped, my a.m. swelling has improved about 90%, my hair looks amazing, my energy is off the charts, I don't feel as anxious as I used to feel, and I am able to gain weight. I thought everything was looking up and I felt so happy.

For the past week and a half, however, I feel like all of my symptoms have come back..full force. I literally am sick every night (throwing up, GI upset) for hours. I have been sleeping all day. My a.m. swelling has come back a bit. I feel sicker than before I found out I have Celiac, everything I eat hurts my stomach. I saw so many doctors pre-diagnosis when I was having issues, and I was told too many times just to get over it (I was told "college life" was my problem). I just don't feel comfortable going to see a doctor anymore and I am starting to feel nervous about all of the vomiting.

So, I thought I would see if anyone had a similar experience after going gluten-free for a few months. I have been extremely careful about ingesting gluten, but maybe I have become hypersensitive since going gluten-free (is that possible?). Has going gluten-free made anyone hypersensitive to dairy? I am so confused....everything was going so well for a couple of months. Thanks for your help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Can you try to look back to see what may have changed right before you started feeling ill again? Some of us do become much more sensitive so do double check all toiletries, meds, supplements etc as well as looking at any processed or restaurant food you may have eaten.

I hope your feeling better soon.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

It could also be secondary food intolerances (unfortunately). It's really common when you have celiac to lose the enzyme that allows you to digest lactose, so dairy intolerance is common. People also sometimes develop other intolerances while they are recovering. In my own case, I am reacting now to soy and to corn, in addition to gluten. I've been surprised at how powerful a reaction I have to dairy, soy, and - especially - corn.

I would suggest, as ravenwoodglass does, that you first look into hidden sources of gluten in your diet. If that doesn't work, try eliminating dairy. And if that doesn't work, then consider other sources for your reaction. Eventually, I had to go down to a very modified "elimination" diet.

Best to you.

Gluten is in things you wouldnt imagine e.g. envelope glue, You will digest it if your licking down enverlopes. Gluten is in Lipstick, gloss and balms. Medications have gluten in. And I am sure there is lots more things out there with gluten. You could be just really sensitive to it now.

Good luck I hope you find out why your not well again soon x

Other intolerances/sensitivities are probably rearing their ugly head.....after a year of trial and error I discovered I was GI, THEN I diagnosed myself with Oral Allergy Syndrome before allergist confirmed it.

I'm allergic to at least 77 items to varing degrees. The primary are dairy, wheat, raw vegatables and fruit, as well as nuts and tree nuts. Extremely sensitive to yeast. Cinammon is definitely a no-no.