This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What To Feed This Kid?

JDB

JDB Newbie

Aren't all little boys picky eaters? It seems like they can live off a hotdog and soda, or at least that would be there choice. Unfortunetly (or maybe fortunetly) our son can't eat those.

I hope his tummy and taste buds ease up a bit, but for now he is very fussy over food. He trials it by licking it first to see how it will feel in his mouth; very common with allergies.

We're on this diet for 5 days, and now I think he's had wheat. I think it is in our gummy vitamins? fruit snacks? rice? etc etc. I thought I was doing good thinking "oh-he can have candy at least". NOpe gotta read lables!!!!!!!! It took me lots of practice to do milk free, then soy free, now wheat free---I'm fereaking tired.

SO, can you give me a typical day in food for you??

It's so confusing.

glad you are here.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

We eat a lot of popcorn, beans, potatoes and rice, mainly because they are cheap, filling and free of our allergens. Daughter loves chicken and will happily eat that at pretty much every meal. I usually add some carrots, celery and onion to the rice and chicken. She likes canned chicken which I get at Costco. She loves teriyaki which I make using a coconut based soy free soy sauce.

She will eat the Ian's kid's meal but doesn't much like the chicken nuggets on their own. She loves the fish sticks though. She also loves some gluten-free breaded cod fish. I can't remember the brand. She likes those with any kind of potato but especially oven baked fries.

Chicken soup is another favorite for her. Either with rice or pasta. She prefers the pasta.

She loves helping in the kitchen so it more willing to eat stuff she might not normally like if she helped to make it. We made meatloaf the other night using some gluten-free oats that were whizzed in the blender. I then soaked them in a mix of vegetable juice and lots of pureed vegetables. We can't have egg, so I used some baby squash as was suggested on another board. Came out yummy!

Hummus and bean dip are big favorites for quick meals. Either with chips, rice crackers or raw veggies.

She also likes to get things from the salad bar. If you don't trust the ones in the stores due to cross contamination, you can make up your own at home. Start with some kind of greens then make up little dishes of chopped veggies, olives, fruit and cubes of meat. She is more likely to eat the salad if she makes it herself. I also allow her to eat the salad with her fingers. That's if she doesn't put dressing on it.

I also let her pick the meat and veggies from the store. She is more likely to eat whatever it is if she picked it herself.

I guess I am lucky in that she is pretty eager to try things and will even try things again that she didn't like in the past.

Mizzo Enthusiast

Hi.

I couldn't tell at day 5 what was and wasn't causing belly aches . My celiac disease girl still had continuos pains for 2 weeks solid, then it eased up on the length but didn't stop completely until around week 9.

Anyhow an average day would be:

Breakfast: Chex, Trix or Envirokids cereal and milk or pancakes or yogurt with hard boiled eggs. Fruit/yogurt smoothies are good too, or even just dinner leftovers

Lunch: Udi's bread sandwich of PBJ or Oscar Mayer Turkey or Bologna with cheese, or corn tortilla with rice and beans, sliced fruit and carrot sticks or cucumber with dressing, again could be dinner leftovers

Dinner: The easiest meal to make in IMO

A starch of rice, gluten-free pasta, or mashed potato's, sometimes Ore-ida fries

A vegetable of green peas, green beans, cucumber and ranch dressing, broccoli or asparagus this is it for green vegetables for her for now

A protein of BBQ /soy sauce and ginger/ or curry on chicken/pork chops or Turkey meatballs, meatloaf, steak etc....

It will get easier in a couple of weeks.

MAKE A LIST of what you can have:

proteins, vegetables, fruit, starch, dairy if any

list sauces or dressing on the bottom. Remember all fresh herbs are ok as is some dressings, and if not, salt, pepper, garlic and olive oil are ok

mix and match them up to make meals .

Traditional meals don't apply to food allergen people , have pizza for breakfast and scrambled eggs for dinner who cares. :)

It gets easier, good luck

JDB Newbie

Thank you for the help, really thank you :) It's trying for sure, but I do hope we see improvement. Had a normal bm today---that's a first, and what else can I be happy about, lol.

Archived