This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight Loss With Celiac?

adab8ca

adab8ca Enthusiast

I am not "officially" diagnosed. I had a ttg of >200, and IgG and IgA gladin of about 30 (each test had normals of about <10)...I have NO GI symptoms,but bad neuropathy pain. I am going for a biopsy on August 31, so am eating gluten. These test results were at the request of a neurologist, grabbing at straws i think. He still doesn't even think it is celiac with no GI issues but my GP seems to think it is likely.

I cannot seem to keep weight on. I am afraid that something more sinister is going on. My appetite isn't great, but i have lost 7 pounds in a month and am starting to freak out. I have stopped exercising because I am afraid of losing more weight...

I also started on an antidepressant because i am in VERY rough shape mentally, with the pain etc. and my appetite isn't great but i am trying to stock up on higher calorie foods.

Would one expect to lose weight with no GI symptoms? Just looking for anecdotal evidence because I am getting very scared.

thanks

ada

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Yes you could be losing weight even without noticeable GI symptoms. Some people also have GI symptoms but don't realize it until they are gone. My constantily rumbling tummy since early childhood and gas are one example. You have a good neuro to order these tests. With them being positive please do give the diet a good strict try after the biopsy. You don't need to wait for the biopsy results. Gluten can attack the brain for years before it attacks the gut. You may find that you no longer have mood issues and that alot of other stuff improves once you get on the diet. Hang in there and let us know how things go.

missy'smom Collaborator

I had ALOT of unwanted and unexplained weight loss just before my diabtetes DX. With a dairy allergy, strong aversion to eggs and many foods off my list due to carbs, I have found that I could stall the weight loss and in time gain weight by keeping my protein(meat) up-consistantly. I have to eat a certain number of ounces every meal, every day. It works well to keep my weight up and blood sugar stable. Sufficient fats also help. It took me two years, but I have gained 10 pounds back out of the 20 I lost. I understand the emotional side of unwanted weight loss. I felt so frail for so long. :( I didn't take walks around the block for over a year because I too was afraid of more weight loss and indeed, I went to the outlets one day(just 1 day) and lost weight, that kind of thing happened several times so I relegated myself to being an official couch potato. That didn't help me gain though. I'm happy to say that this year, I gave up the couch and said heck with it and took to walking again and I'm going to participate in the diabetes walk this year. You may find that your weight comes up as the villi heal and you are able to absorb more of your food. If you keep the protein up, enough good fats and don't overdo the carbs, that will also go a long way to helping your body out.

cassP Contributor

im so glad you have a neurologist who is good enough to consider celiac- your test result numbers are high enough to convince me, but im not your doc. also wanted to tell u- that i recently read an article out of Columbia University- that ONLY 1 in 6 Celiacs have any gut symptoms! that is HUGE. i met a guy on twitter too- and he never had gut symptoms- he only had neurological symptoms & memory loss.... so stick with it all- and the biopsy test- i think your doc is on the right track.

Gemini Experienced

I am not "officially" diagnosed. I had a ttg of >200, and IgG and IgA gladin of about 30 (each test had normals of about <10)...I have NO GI symptoms,but bad neuropathy pain. I am going for a biopsy on August 31, so am eating gluten. These test results were at the request of a neurologist, grabbing at straws i think. He still doesn't even think it is celiac with no GI issues but my GP seems to think it is likely.

I cannot seem to keep weight on. I am afraid that something more sinister is going on. My appetite isn't great, but i have lost 7 pounds in a month and am starting to freak out. I have stopped exercising because I am afraid of losing more weight...

I also started on an antidepressant because i am in VERY rough shape mentally, with the pain etc. and my appetite isn't great but i am trying to stock up on higher calorie foods.

Would one expect to lose weight with no GI symptoms? Just looking for anecdotal evidence because I am getting very scared.

thanks

ada

With blood work that high, I fail to see why your doctor does not think this an official diagnosis! :blink: Having no GI symptoms is not unusual, in fact, the majority of Celiac patients today have no GI symptoms.....really. The disease has mutated and changed, according to the top Celiac doctors and researchers, and many have the neurological manifestation of the disease only. Those with GI symptoms have what is called "classic" Celiac Disease.

I had similar results for my blood work and I have the classic type of Celiac. I was down to 98 pounds at time of diagnosis so understand your worry over the weight loss. My advice to you, if you want it, would be to go gluten-free immediately as that is the only way you will stop the weight loss. It took me about 6 months to start gaining any amount of weight again so be prepared for a long haul with this. It takes time to heal. You can still have the endo, if you want, but you have an official diagnosis right there in front of you with your blood work. Your doctor's are not well versed with this but that's normal for many people.

Having the endo after starting the gluten-free diet will serve to check out your gut...you do not need to have one for a diagnosis as you already have that. I refused the endo myself, after having the blood work done because I was losing 1 pound per day and couldn't wait for them to get on the ball with this. I would have disappeared if I waited for the doctors to get it right!

Looking for answers Contributor

Any possible chance they'd consider moving up your endo under these circumstances?

adab8ca Enthusiast

Any possible chance they'd consider moving up your endo under these circumstances?

i'm in canada,so i am very lucky to even get it this fast. it's only been 2.5 months....sigh....i was off gluten for a month (although it didn't make any difference in my symptoms) and have been only on for two weeks. i admit, i feel horrible and the weight loss is so scary. i may touch base with my GP tomorrow to let her know what's up....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived