Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cassP

Celiac & Lymphoma ?

hey- i just saw this via twitter:

http://celiacandwhat.wordpress.com/2010/09/05/celiac-and-lymphoma-risk/

ive heard Celiac linked with Lymphoma before- but i wanted to know if any of you knowledgeable members or Moderaters could clarify for me: is it only linked to a "slight increased risk" of Intestinal Lymphoma .. or ALL Lymphomas??

im curious, because i want my Dad to get tested for Celiac. i know he has at least has 1 DQ8 & skin disorders & anxiety, plus he had nonHodgekins Lymphoma... but no gut problems or intestinal cancer.

always love to hear the input on here :)

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes your father should be tested. If you are diagnosed all your first degree relatives need to be tested. Your brothers and sisters and both Mother and Father and your children if you have them, even if they seem to be symptom free.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

i havent been officially diagnosed because my health insurance wouldn't cover the endoscopy.

i personally, after looking over ALL my tests & symptoms & genes- think it would be absolutely stupid to go back on a diet with gluten.

plus, i think i have my first experience with a patch of DH on my stomach.

i'm going to see my GI tomorrow- to go over all this. i do NOT need a diagnosis now to eat right- BUT i would love for my family to be screened-> i want them around as long as possible!

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

Depends on the type of non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Celiac predisposes for T-cell lymphomas, particularly EATL (enteropathy-associated T-cell lymphoma). If it's a B-cell type it's not likely to do with celiac.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19365835

If you have DH, your family should definitely be screened.

Spoke with my internist about this today.

Please take this as "one doctor's opinion"

but this guy is good and has my trust...

he said that indeed the "slight increased risk" of Intestinal

Lymphoma for us was 4 or 5 times greater than the general population

but...this was considered to be a rare type of cancer so you

are talking about 4 or 5 times 0.something to begin with,

not 4 or 5 times 2 or 3 or 4,etc.

He said that our increased rate is about or very near the

average population for other types,in other words.

Also...there is no screening as such for this.I asked

if a blood chemistry every six months would be OK;

he said "if you want to,but we are aware of this and

find the annual check to be OK".

Hope this helps...sort of.

just saw my GI today. he said "the medical community wants the positive blood test AND biopsy", but that he's confident with all my tests & symptoms that i have Celiac. i told him i would never go back on gluten for a biopsy, but just wanted my family to get screened.

my dad is STILL brushing it off :( ( i single him out- cause he's the only one in the family who is ingesting enough to actually have an accurate blood panel-> plus both his parents had heart disease & dementia)

anyways, i asked him about the Lymphoma too- he said the increased risk is for Intestinal Lymphoma. he also said that you could make the arguement that untreated Celiac causes systemic inflammation- which could raise your risk of all lymphomas... he spent a lot of time with me and was very openminded- it was nice for a change

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

anyways, i asked him about the Lymphoma too- he said the increased risk is for Intestinal Lymphoma. he also said that you could make the arguement that untreated Celiac causes systemic inflammation- which could raise your risk of all lymphomas... he spent a lot of time with me and was very openminded- it was nice for a change

I agree with this. The systemic inflammation could also increase the risk for a lot of other things also including heart disease and arthritis to name just a couple.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)