Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

glutenfreeinminnesota

Bloating After 10 Months Of gluten-free Diet?

I was diagnosed Nov of 2009 and have been on a gluten-free diet ever since. I have felt SO much better then I have in years. Well, at first I lost weight, I think because I didn't know what I could eat, so I ate a lot healthier. Now I have discovered more foods, and of course have gained weight right back. I have been glutened here and there, but have done pretty well so far. Well, out of no where I feel like I am bloated all the time. I am pretty skinny...so my lower stomach is pretty obvious when it's sticking out like I'm pregnant. I don't have any effects of being glutened other then the bloating. I was glutened about a month ago while on vacation...that was the last time I believe I consumed gluten. Dairy has not affected me at all along the way...could it suddenly be that? I have been washing things around here like I'm obsessive complusive...thinking maybe I was CCing myself since I live with a gluten eater...but nothing seems to make it go away. Anyone else have this problem without glutening??? Thanks for reading :)

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease November 2009

2011:

Anemia is gone for the first time in my life, Yay!

Teeth are cleaner according to my dentist (interesting, eh???)

Eyesight has improved for the first time in my life (another interesting thing!)

**My advice to the newly diagnosed** HANG IN THERE!! It gets better and is so worth the seemly long road to getting better. Just be happy you can make yourself healthy with a diet change, and not have to take pills for the rest of your life. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm having a similar problem after 8.5 months gluten-free, but I'm quite sure it's due to unhealed gut damage from a bad glutening about 3.5 weeks ago and CC events since (trip to Japan where I got really badly glutened the second night there and probably CC'd at least every other day due to the language barrier and lack of known safe foods, then a CC incident last week from candy made on a shared line). I've once again lost the ability to digest dairy (NOT happy about this- last time it took a full five months of gluten-free eating before I healed enough to eat ice cream with lactase pills) and am having mild problems with peppers and cruciferous veggies again.

Long story short: you could be dealing with some gut damage from being glutened. You might want to take it easy with your diet to let your gut rest. I've been off of dairy except for butter for 48 hours now and it has helped my symptoms immensely. Or (and I hope this isn't the case) you could have developed a secondary food intolerance in which case an elimination diet may help you address it.

I agree with what i-geek has said. I would add that I've found digestive enzymes to be very helpful to reduce the balloon belly. I'd suggest the kind derived from microbes. Not only do they tolerate the natural acidity of the stomach, but it'll help avoid possible barley-derived enzymes.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Thanks so much! I just like to make sure I am not the only one dealing with these stupid "side effects". I will try to keep away from dairy and look into the digestive enzymes. Thanks!!

2011:

Eyesight has improved for the first time in my life (another interesting thing!)

**My advice to the newly diagnosed** HANG IN THERE!! It gets better and is so worth the seemly long road to getting better. Just be happy you can make yourself healthy with a diet change, and not have to take pills for the rest of your life. :D

I continued to suffer bloating despite abstaining from gluten. After diagnoses of and abstaining from 6 other delayed reaction food allergies, I still had intestinal cramping and bloating. Then I was diagnosed with and treated for 8 successive gut infections (5 bacteria, 2 parasitic and candida). Afterwards I STILL had bloating after meals. I also had been taking a probiotic with FOS during and after treatment for those gut bugs.

When I switched to a higher dose probiotic, which did not contain FOS, my bloating decreased a lot. Then I got a Heidelberg Capsule Test for stomach acid production, which diagnosed hypochloridia or low stomach acid. (Years ago I was misdiagnosed with 'gastritis' and treated with acid blocking drugs when I really had celiac disease.) Once I started HCl supplements (to replace my depleted stomach acid), I finally lost the bloating and no longer feel overly full after eating small amounts. Taking digestive enzymes didn't help me as much as taking HCl, because normal amounts of stomach acid biochemically trigger the release of digestive enzymes.

So I suggest you test for other delayed reaction allergies (ELISA blood test), for gut 'bugs' (stool tests, which can also indicate insufficient good bacteria), and for depleted stomach acid (Heidelberg capsule test). Also avoid probiotics with FOS. All those things can cause chronic bloating after meals.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

I continued to suffer bloating despite abstaining from gluten. After diagnoses of and abstaining from 6 other delayed reaction food allergies, I still had intestinal cramping and bloating. Then I was diagnosed with and treated for 8 successive gut infections (5 bacteria, 2 parasitic and candida). Afterwards I STILL had bloating after meals. I also had been taking a probiotic with FOS during and after treatment for those gut bugs.

When I switched to a higher dose probiotic, which did not contain FOS, my bloating decreased a lot. Then I got a Heidelberg Capsule Test for stomach acid production, which diagnosed hypochloridia or low stomach acid. (Years ago I was misdiagnosed with 'gastritis' and treated with acid blocking drugs when I really had celiac disease.) Once I started HCl supplements (to replace my depleted stomach acid), I finally lost the bloating and no longer feel overly full after eating small amounts. Taking digestive enzymes didn't help me as much as taking HCl, because normal amounts of stomach acid biochemically trigger the release of digestive enzymes.

So I suggest you test for other delayed reaction allergies (ELISA blood test), for gut 'bugs' (stool tests, which can also indicate insufficient good bacteria), and for depleted stomach acid (Heidelberg capsule test). Also avoid probiotics with FOS. All those things can cause chronic bloating after meals.

Thank you for the advice...yeah I was "diagnosed" with GERD years ago before Celiac finally was found as the real culprit...I have never taken probiotics, but I will have to look into it!! Thanks again.

2011: