Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sahm-i-am

My 11 Year Old Was Glutened For The First Time

When I was diagnosed with Celiac I had my daughters tested. Both bloodworks came back negative but my younger daughter wanted to try gluten free to see if it cleared up her GI issues. I am not ready to go through a biopsy with her and a gluten-free diet was the answer anyway so why not? So, she has been voluntarily gluten free for 4 months and feeling much, much better. Yesterday we were at a local farm and they were giving away ice cream. She asked about the cone (good girl!) but didn't think to ask about the lemon ice cream (awww!). I wondered out loud when I saw her eating it but most was gone. 3 hours later poor little thing was feeling it! :( It didn't last long but she had a strong reaction, which confirms her decision to be gluten-free. It is interesting because her reaction to gluten was SO much stronger than mine (I get mild heartburn) and I'm the one with all the positive bloodwork and lazy villi!! Go figure!

I have a question for you experienced GFers - would sudden consumption of gluten cause a reaction in all people that ate a gluten-free diet, regardless of diagnosis of celiac disease or GS/GI? Do you think perhaps that gluten can cause a reaction in everyone if they went gluten-free for a while? Just wondering, curious if it is toxic to all, not just us. And I do think my daughter has GI because of all her digestive issues, but wondering if so many people's bodies are 'addicted' to gluten.

Thanks for listening!

Diagnosed with Lymphoma March 2010. After surgery doctors said "Oops!"

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2010. After endoscopy doc said "Aren't you glad?"

Uhhh.....yeah!

DD #1 ('99) tested negative on bloodwork but positive on 2 genetic markers. Went gluten free in July 2010 and has been symptom-free ever since!

DD #2 ('98) tested negative and has no symptoms. Didn't fork out money for genetic testing. Will watch and test regularly.

Husband tested positive in July 2010 and has refused to go gluten free. Uh huh, that's gonna bite him in the a** one day! (Pun intended!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have a question for you experienced GFers - would sudden consumption of gluten cause a reaction in all people that ate a gluten-free diet, regardless of diagnosis of celiac disease or GS/GI? Do you think perhaps that gluten can cause a reaction in everyone if they went gluten-free for a while?

Thanks for listening!

No gluten will not cause a reaction in those who are not intolerant of it. If people reacted to food just because they hadn't eaten it in a while we would react to a lot of stuff we only have on holidays or seasonally. People who are not intolerant to gluten can add it in and out all they want with no reaction. That is the reason why eliminating gluten and then challenging with it is a good diagnostic for gluten reactions.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

i agree with Ravenwood! i do NOT think everyone on a gluten-free diet would react to being glutened.

i do think with 30% of the population carrying DQ genes- that it is POSSIBLE for 30% of the population to be sensitive to gluten... with a subset of that group being intolerant or celiac.

i think there's even more than 30% who might have sensitivities to Wheat Germ Agglutin and other grains, etc..

im very impressed with your daughter- deciding she wanted to try the diet anyways!

also- i think its very possible that she had a reaction because of the dairy..???

and again- i agree with RW-> there's a misconception out there about allergies & intolerances... and that if we havent had something in awhile- then we just need to desensitize to it. there are certain foods that i never even tried till i was almost 30- and i never reacted to them

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

Don't believe it causes that reaction in people with no gluten issue, nope. I can say that I've seen no issue with my husband. Our house is gluten free, so he's been gluten free with the rest of us who HAVE to be. When I was making him lunch for work, he didn't get gluten for maybe 3 months straight. Then I stopped for a couple weeks and he had gluten during lunch with no issues at all, you know?

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive