Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

K8ling

Use "Low Gluten" Communion Wafers

Well, I did communion today with a new "low gluten" host...and the worse side effect I had was a little upset stomach which could possibly be psychosomatic. Anyway, it was different from the ones I HAD been using by EnerG in that 1)it was 0.01% wheat, and it was actually "legal" by Canonical Law.

I haven't really got much of a choice so I'll keep an eye on my belly the next few days. Hopefully no ill effects, I am loving being able to go back to church and feed my spirit without getting sick after. Also, they had doughnuts in sunday school and they didn't give my sons class any because of my allergy- they wanted to make sure it was ok to give HIM some! I really felt blessed to have someone understand and want to be sure not to cc me (oh yeah, and he DID get his doughnut :) )

Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Sounds like you have a great parish! Good to know about the low-gluten hosts. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I'm fortunate enough to be at a parish that consecrates enough wine for everyone, but in future I can't expect that at other parishes.

That was my communion post (thanks for all the responses btw). I just was going to update that it was a Big Mistake to try communion. I was pretty sick and anxious for about 3 days...3 days I could not afford out of my week. We are in the process of getting a new pastor so I'll just hang out and see if we can come up with a new system when he/she signs on. In the meantime, I personally don't feel spiritually left out for not taking communion. It's just a little awkward refusing it and I hate explaining to people why I don't take it. ("It's just a little bit...it shouldn't hurt you." This from my Dr. Sister in Law this weekend. She still thinks if I'm not diagnosed celiacs then I should be able to re-introduce wheat. *sigh*).

I'm glad you found an alternative. Hopefully the upset stomach was all in your head. And I mean that in the nicest possible way. Hopefully that's not coming across as condescending at all.

That was my communion post (thanks for all the responses btw). I just was going to update that it was a Big Mistake to try communion. I was pretty sick and anxious for about 3 days...3 days I could not afford out of my week. We are in the process of getting a new pastor so I'll just hang out and see if we can come up with a new system when he/she signs on. In the meantime, I personally don't feel spiritually left out for not taking communion. It's just a little awkward refusing it and I hate explaining to people why I don't take it. ("It's just a little bit...it shouldn't hurt you." This from my Dr. Sister in Law this weekend. She still thinks if I'm not diagnosed celiacs then I should be able to re-introduce wheat. *sigh*).

I'm glad you found an alternative. Hopefully the upset stomach was all in your head. And I mean that in the nicest possible way. Hopefully that's not coming across as condescending at all.

srall, I hadn't realized how much more difficult it would be in a Protestant church until I attended my husband's uncle's memorial service (Congregational-UCC). I wasn't planning to receive communion there anyway, but if I'd wanted to I couldn't have since all of it was done by intinction. There wasn't any option to simply sip non-CCed wine. At least in my Catholic parish only the priest's chalice has a piece of the bread placed in it. The chalices given to the parishoners are just consecrated wine.

Since you're not restricted by Canon Law (as we Catholics are)to use bread made from wheat, could you bring rice wafers and have them blessed on a separate plate and then just not dip them in wine?

I DID bloat up last night...I looked about 5 months pregnant (and I am very thin so it was a shock). But I feel ok this morning and the bloat is gone. I will try it again next week just to check it out again. It makes me SO nervous that I ate something that SAID "Ingredients: Wheat starch, water". Augh.

Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

Many Protestant pastors will find a way to work with you if you are a church member. We have an extra church service at 8 o'clock in the morning - it is very small - only a dozen or so people usually show up, and we have only gluten-free bread at that service. I love my pastor :) I believe they also make gluten free available to a celiac choir member at the main service.