This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Allergies Back After 4 Years

JCSGF

JCSGF Newbie

My son's food allergies are back after Tests came back negative at age 5 1/2. Although options are better than when he was 3 still devastating for him. 4 years of "freedom" for now 9 y.o. Back to meat,corn,rice,sweet potatoes,green beens. Add No garlic to gluten-free,SF,DF,NF,No egg. no pears, strawberries,apples,mustard,pepper

Most King Arthur new mixes seem like they will work with egg replacer. I hope.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

My son's food allergies are back after Tests came back negative at age 5 1/2. Although options are better than when he was 3 still devastating for him. 4 years of "freedom" for now 9 y.o. Back to meat,corn,rice,sweet potatoes,green beens. Add No garlic to gluten-free,SF,DF,NF,No egg. no pears, strawberries,apples,mustard,pepper

Most King Arthur new mixes seem like they will work with egg replacer. I hope.

Let us know how we can help. Need help brainstorming meal ideas? Many of us live with that many restrictions, although it is different for the kids and hard on our mom hearts sometimes. My son was ok with things in elementary school but is having a harder time in middle school.

Kiddo was hit with a list of 10 food allergies last year and me 26, not including gluten. Our allergist said it is possible to ditch some of them if we avoid long enough, so I'm holding out hope for some. Between the two of us, we've been free of everything on your list, minus strawberries and pears. We are up for 1 year re-testing soon so we shall see where we are at. It will be interesting.

Have you checked into the Enjoy-life and Namaste brands? They are free of many things.

With those restrictions baked goods are a challenge. Drat those eggs! Maybe vegan sites would help? There is one out there called vegan cupcakes take over the world or something like that. If you haven't already, maybe it's time to explore all those retro jello recipes/creations. We made rainbow jello for Xmas last year instead of cookies and it was a hit! Took many hours to get all the layers on but kiddo said it was totally worth it!

I did hunt down a garlic-free beef broth and chicken broth when kiddo was garlic-free and I think that the Applegate Farms franks of various kinds were garlic and mustard-free, my notes that I have on the spices from calling the manufacturer indicate that. Please do double check for yourself.

I had to hunt to find juice and other processed fruit snacks with no apple, it's in SO many things so I get that!

missy'smom Collaborator

Here's our recipe for fruit crisp. With apples and pears off the menu, you can use blueberries, cherries(canned tart cherries for pie baking-be sure to add sugar) or the sweet pie filling, peaches(canned this time of year), a combo of those, or some other stone fruit like plums. For dairy and soy-free, I use part Eathbalance Spread(soy-free version in red tub) and part Spectrum shortening(non-hydrogenated). I usually double up the batch of topping(for multiple uses and because we like lots of topping) and store in the freezer until needed.

1/2 c. gluten-free oats

1/2 c. (I prefer 1/4 c.) brown sugar

1/4 c. gluten-free flour blend (we use a sorghum blend)

1/4 c. "butter"

Blend the dry ingredients together, then cut in the "butter" with a pastry blender or pulse in the food processor.

Put your fruits(5c. for this recipe)in the bottom of a baking dish. Toss with starch and sugar if desired. Sprinkle on topping. Bake at 375 30 min. or until topping is browned and fruit is tender and bubbly.

T.H. Community Regular

I don't know if this would have any relevance at all, but there was something my GI doc told me that I'll pass on, for what it's worth.

He was saying that many of the animal studies are discovering that genetically modified foods are causing the animals to develop allergies more often than those who weren't fed GM foods. For a little one with many allergies, that might be worth researching, perhaps, to see if avoiding these might help slow the development of new allergies?

Again, I don't know much about it, just that my GI has started recommending that his patients avoid GM foods.

Archived