This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg, Northern Va Folks -- Udi's Bread!

Monklady123

Monklady123 Collaborator

For any of you who live in the northern VA area -- or anywhere else there's the Giant grocery store -- I just found Udi's bread there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And cheaper than at Whole Foods!!!!!!!!!

I am SO SO happy, because my Giant is five minutes from my house and Whole Foods is not. Giant has a decent parking lot, my Whole Foods does not. And, I can spend my money at Giant and get those gas credits!!!!!! wooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! (also bought Udi's bagels!)

Just thought I'd pass on that good news.

:wub: :wub: :wub: Udi's :wub: :wub: :wub:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bigbird16 Apprentice

Woohoo! Awesome! Thanks for the tip-off. Giant has been good about bringing at least a handful of gluten-free goods to their freezer section. I've found Kinnikinnick doughnuts, bagels, and breads at the one on Duke in Alexandria. I'll have to check the one closer to home for Udis. Yum!!

Monklady123 Collaborator

This is the Giant at Virginia Square in Arlington. The Udi's bread is brand new (which is what drew my attention to it -- the big red "Brand New!" sign. lol... I've noticed a lot of Gluten-free stuff there recently, so things are looking up. However, no Gluten-free Bisquick yet. But -- I did find that at my Target, the one at Wilston Plaza (Patrick Henry and Rt. 50). They also had Pamela's pancake mix which I'm told is the best. I couldn't bring myself to pay that price though, so I passed.

I had one of the Udi's bagels this morning and didn't like it. :( They're pre-cut and it was cut unevenly, so that one side was VERY thick and the other was thin like bread. I liked the thin side okay but the thick side was icky. lol... I looked in the bag at the rest of them and they're all cut that way. Tomorrow I'm going to try to cut the thick side very carefully into two with a good bread knife. We'll see...

Anyway, things are looking up here in northern VA. :)

Nor-TX Enthusiast

This is the Giant at Virginia Square in Arlington. The Udi's bread is brand new (which is what drew my attention to it -- the big red "Brand New!" sign. lol... I've noticed a lot of Gluten-free stuff there recently, so things are looking up. However, no Gluten-free Bisquick yet. But -- I did find that at my Target, the one at Wilston Plaza (Patrick Henry and Rt. 50). They also had Pamela's pancake mix which I'm told is the best. I couldn't bring myself to pay that price though, so I passed.

I had one of the Udi's bagels this morning and didn't like it. :( They're pre-cut and it was cut unevenly, so that one side was VERY thick and the other was thin like bread. I liked the thin side okay but the thick side was icky. lol... I looked in the bag at the rest of them and they're all cut that way. Tomorrow I'm going to try to cut the thick side very carefully into two with a good bread knife. We'll see...

Anyway, things are looking up here in northern VA. :)

I cut them all the time. Actually if one side is really thick I cut it into 3 slices. It might be easier for you if you cut the bagel in half. I always cut the thin side too. So on a typical morning I sometimes actually have 5 slices of half a bagel. Makes me think I am eating alot. I like to be able to cut them. Sometimes I toast them really crispy and use them like pita with hummous and sometimes use them like crackers. The uneven cutting does not bother me at all. At first it did, but when I looked at it as a positive thing, my perceptions changed.

lynnelise Apprentice

I love the Udi's bagels and the bread! I grew up in Arlington...too bad I don't live there now! ;) I have to drive over an hour for Udi's!

• 3 months later...
brendygirl Community Regular

I get Udi bread and bagels at Trader Joe's on Washington in Old Town! I also get Udi's bread and gluten-free Bisquick at Harris-Teeter in Crystal City!

glutenfr3309 Rookie

trader joe's also carries it for $4.99!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

The Safeway at Nutley St in VA has a gluten free section right at the entrance up front. This is new, they didn't use to have a warm gluten free section but had a small freezer section. I don't remember if they had Udis in the freezer now or not. I think they do, and maybe Rudi's also. They installed 2 large shelve units of gluten-free products not long ago and added gluten-free foods to the freezer section also.

Safeway

3043 Nutley Street, Fairfax, VA 22031 (703) 269-2241 ‎ safeway.com

The Safeway in the district at 14th St and Kentucky Ave has a small gluten-free section now, and they have Pamela's gluten-free cookies for $3.69 on sale right now. Very disturbing. :) Last time I checked though they were out of the Pamela's peanut butter cookies because I had bought them all. Oops. But they had other kinds. I didn't see any bread there tho.

Safeway

415 14th St. SE

Washington, DC 20003

Store Phone: 202-547-4333

The big Giant on Duke has an organic foods section to the right as you enter the store. They have gluten-free foods in there along with organic foods. They also have Energi bread on a rack in that section, not refrigerated.

Giant - #0261

3131 Duke Street

Alexandria Commons

Alexandria, VA 22314

703-461-6198

Archived