This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Benihana Restaurant's Response

BethM55

BethM55 Enthusiast

Well, if we go, I may stick to a salad and steamed rice. I'll talk to the people there see what they say. I'll be at the event for the people and the birthday, not necessarily for the food. oh, well. C'est la vie. B)

"Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for your email. We understand how important it is for you to obtain information on gluten-free products. Although we would love to serve you as our guest, we do have to make you aware that the majority of our sauces and recipes are made with soy sauce which contains wheat. Also, our onion soup is made with fried onions containing flour. However, we are currently working on developing a gluten-free menu option and hope to have it available for our guests soon."

Sincerely yours,

Paola Mare

Support Service

Benihana Inc.

8685 Northwest 53rd Terrace

Miami, FL 33166

pmare@benihana.com

www.benihana.com

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

oohhhhhh i REALLY hope they ARE working on a gluten free menu- they really should make a couple of those oven/tables dedicated to gluten free- and only use wheat free soy sauce & fish & oyster sauces... cause i really really really miss teppenyaki :(

BethM55 Enthusiast

oohhhhhh i REALLY hope they ARE working on a gluten free menu- they really should make a couple of those oven/tables dedicated to gluten free- and only use wheat free soy sauce & fish & oyster sauces... cause i really really really miss teppenyaki :(

Good idea! I've had teriyaki, and like it, but what is teppenyaki? I think I remember seeing that term on their website? I'm not too familiar with Japanese cuisine. I figure I could bring my own gluten-free soy sauce?

Skylark Collaborator

Good idea! I've had teriyaki, and like it, but what is teppenyaki? I think I remember seeing that term on their website? I'm not too familiar with Japanese cuisine. I figure I could bring my own gluten-free soy sauce?

Teppanyaki is the food they cook in front of you. And no, it's not a good idea to eat it as the griddle will be CC'd from soy sauce.

BethM55 Enthusiast

Teppanyaki is the food they cook in front of you. And no, it's not a good idea to eat it as the griddle will be CC'd from soy sauce.

Good point. Guess it'll be rice and salad, and I can live with that. This event is for my daughter-'out-law''s birthday, her choice of restaurant. I'll be content with the festivities. Sometimes it's easier than other times, but I try to be philosophical about times like this.

kareng Grand Master

Beth, I think I would bring my own food. Either something I really liked more, like a taco salad. Or something that looks sorta, kinda, not entirely unlike what they are eating. Maybe a stir fry from home. It won't be real hot temp wise, but you won't feel left out. Buy a glass or 2 of wine and the restaurant won't care. If there is cake, bring your own or a dessert you like but don't eat often ( a big Snickers bar, some dark chocolate).

I have done brought both the similar ( no one who didn't know before knew) or something completely different.

Skylark Collaborator

Good point. Guess it'll be rice and salad, and I can live with that. This event is for my daughter-'out-law''s birthday, her choice of restaurant. I'll be content with the festivities. Sometimes it's easier than other times, but I try to be philosophical about times like this.

It's always fun watching the teppanyaki chefs at Benihana, even if the food they make is all gluten-y. Their website says some of the restaurants have sushi. If you're fond of sushi, that might be an option. Simple sushi like a tuna roll or sashimi and steamed rice is gluten-free and edamamae are always good if you tolerate soy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BethM55 Enthusiast

Beth, I think I would bring my own food. Either something I really liked more, like a taco salad. Or something that looks sorta, kinda, not entirely unlike what they are eating. Maybe a stir fry from home. It won't be real hot temp wise, but you won't feel left out. Buy a glass or 2 of wine and the restaurant won't care. If there is cake, bring your own or a dessert you like but don't eat often ( a big Snickers bar, some dark chocolate).

I have done brought both the similar ( no one who didn't know before knew) or something completely different.

That's a good possibility. I could bring something to put over steamed rice. Hmmm, let me think... Thanks!

BethM55 Enthusiast

It's always fun watching the teppanyaki chefs at Benihana, even if the food they make is all gluten-y. Their website says some of the restaurants have sushi. If you're fond of sushi, that might be an option. Simple sushi like a tuna roll or sashimi and steamed rice is gluten-free and edamamae are always good if you tolerate soy.

Well, I've never been a fan of sushi, and don't care for edemamae although I do tolerate soy. Gosh sometimes we have to find convoluted ways to stay healthy, don't we? :lol:

cassP Contributor

that's why i said it would be nice if they could dedicate 2 tables to being ONLY gluten free- so they could do the teppenyaki with gluten-free sauce & no cc. not being able to indulge in this with friends is a HUGE bummer... i loved it so much

Archived