Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dixiebell

Steatorrhea

Ok. So we finally did stool samples for my 9 yr old. His Dr. called yesterday and said everything was good except he has fat in his stool and for me to keep watch of it. How do we make this stop? What would be causing this? He has been gluten-free since the end of May and doing well. To my knowledge, he has not had any gluten.

Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.

2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.

Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.

So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!

My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I had this happen this year. Major Steatorrhea. My doctor said, based on my high test that I was malabsorbing. I was having daily D and could barley make it to the bathroom. He wanted me to take steriods, but I refused. I decided to take a look again at what I was eating. I eliminated all prepackaged foods, with exception of a few, and even labled gluten free items and I then went on Creon to help with digestion. I think that I was having problems with low levels of cc from gluten free items being Bob's products, which I used almost every day. I react to certified gluten free oats and grasping at straws, eliminated all those products, since they process the gluten free oats in the facility. The only gluten free items I have been eating are the Betty Crocker mixes and flours from Enger G. Also very few mainstream products. I believe things are starting to turn around for me. I have since stopped taking the creon (due to C and this was the only culprit I could find) and I've been doing alright. Still not back to normal but getting there. Maybe try and take him back to a very clean diet and see if that helps. I'm finaly seeing results and it has been a little over three months since I did all this.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.