Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheryl_C

Popcorn At The Movies

So I know that the air-popped popcorn I make at home, with butter, is gluten-free and awesome, but what about at the movies? I may be going to the movies tonight, and would love to have some movie theatre popcorn. (They just do it better!) Is there any reason I shouldn't? What about the topping issue - butter vs becel?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Thanks for the link. So basically it looks like movie popcorn *should* be gluten-free, but no one is willing to commit 100%. I didn't even think about the cc from hot dog buns, etc - my brain must be on vacation today. Thanks!

Thanks for the link. So basically it looks like movie popcorn *should* be gluten-free, but no one is willing to commit 100%. I didn't even think about the cc from hot dog buns, etc - my brain must be on vacation today. Thanks!

Its the CYA statement. They don't know where the popcorn was before they bought it. Probably in a popcorn processing plant.

I went to AMC when it was busy and had popcorn. It was so busy one person makes drinks, one made popcorn, one took money. The popcorn is very separate at our theater from hotdog buns. Its always possible someone had a crumb on their hands but we just go the plain popcorn and soda.

Update:

We went to the movies on Friday, and I had plain popcorn (no topping). I ate it hesitantly at first, but after it didn't make me sick, I relaxed and enjoyed it. No pain, no problems. Yay!

Update:

We went to the movies on Friday, and I had plain popcorn (no topping). I ate it hesitantly at first, but after it didn't make me sick, I relaxed and enjoyed it. No pain, no problems. Yay!

Yay!

We go to movies so seldom that getting popcorn is fun!

Plain popcorn at the movies will always be gluten-free and the chance of CC is so minimal that I can't imagine anybody losing sleep over it. In addition, the largest maker of toppings in the U.S., Flavacol (sp?) has said its toppings are gluten-free. This is just my personal experience, but after years of searching and checking labels and calling, I've never found a theater popcorn -- plain OR topped -- with gluten. I have long since decided -- and this is something everybody has to decide for him or herself -- that theater popcorn is not something I'm going to worry about.

richard