This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Neuro Symptoms On Gluten. Gi Symptoms Off

Wbw2112

Wbw2112 Newbie

Hello,

I became ill around early April and began going to doctors. My symptoms were chronic daily migraine, mind fog, confusion, memory issues, weakness, panic attacks, dizziness, fatigue and increased CSF pressure. I had almost no digestive issues; just the occasional slightly loose stool. After much testing, I was diagnosed with Celiac about 4 months ago. I quit the Gluten, and after a few weeks I was noticeably (not entirely) better. After ditching Gluten I developed a burning hot empty feeling in my stomach, and I still had the mind fog and terrible fatigue. I suggested to my doc testing for a SIBO. I tested positive and went on antibiotics to treat. Neurological symptoms are NOW 95% gone and burning feeling is gone. I am now experiencing more Bowel issues after knocking out the overgrowth. Bloating, general tenderness, raw gut feeling, sharp pains near naval.

I was curious if:

-Anyone else had a similar majority of neurological symptoms.

-There are any thoughts on why I NOW have GI symptoms and what could they mean.

Thank you

-Blake W.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

laura4669 Apprentice

I had a bunch of neurological symptoms, many similar to yours: extreme brain fog, confusion, lack of concentration, panic attacks, dizziness, irritability, and extreme fatigue. I also had C and occasional D, but I never got horrible cramps or D after eating gluten as so many others have reported. I am also hypothyroid, and am on thyroid meds, which may have helped with the fatigue. I have been totally off gluten for about three months, and I too am seeing improvement. I do think I have other food allergies, and I have to figure out exactly what I am allergic to. My doc says that in some people, gluten effects the brain more than others.

What is SIBO?

Could you have other food allergies causing the digestive issues? Many people with celiac have other allergies.

MelindaLee Contributor

Hello,

I became ill around early April and began going to doctors. My symptoms were chronic daily migraine, mind fog, confusion, memory issues, weakness, panic attacks, dizziness, fatigue and increased CSF pressure. I had almost no digestive issues; just the occasional slightly loose stool. After much testing, I was diagnosed with Celiac about 4 months ago. I quit the Gluten, and after a few weeks I was noticeably (not entirely) better. After ditching Gluten I developed a burning hot empty feeling in my stomach, and I still had the mind fog and terrible fatigue. I suggested to my doc testing for a SIBO. I tested positive and went on antibiotics to treat. Neurological symptoms are NOW 95% gone and burning feeling is gone. I am now experiencing more Bowel issues after knocking out the overgrowth. Bloating, general tenderness, raw gut feeling, sharp pains near naval.

I was curious if:

-Anyone else had a similar majority of neurological symptoms.

-There are any thoughts on why I NOW have GI symptoms and what could they mean.

Thank you

-Blake W.

I am not the most experienced here...so others may give you better advice, but I am wondering about other intolerances, like soy or dairy. I don't have these issues, but I have read other's dealing with issues like that. Make sure that at this time you are eating mostly whole foods, and no or very limited processed foods. This allows your system to heal better. I did have difficulties with "heartburn" types of symptoms once I went gluten-free, but now, almost 4 months later, those issues have totally resolved. (all of my neuro issues are gone, too. Though if I get glutened, they return for a few days)

Welcome, and good luck.

mushroom Proficient

When gluten overloads all the body's systems it becomes the primary producer of symptoms. After the removal of gluten (and the body heaves a big sigh of relief) it can start to deal with other things. Some of those other things are often secondary intolerances whose voices have not been able to be heard above the shouting and screaming that the gluten was creating :o Let me give you an example - while I was eating gluten I had no hives, redness or itching rashes. which all appeared after the gluten departed. Over time I learned that these were caused by soy and nighshades. But they hadn't had a chance to get the message across before. Listen to what your body is trying to tell you and try to find out what these other issues are.

Many celiacs cannot digest lactose because of damage to the villi in the small intestine, and this can definitely cause GI symptoms, because the lactose ferments in the gut and creates cramping, gas and bloating and diarrhea. Corn, for me, creates these same symptoms. So you may find that there are other foods that you have to give up, hopefully temporarily until your gut heals, but sometimes permanently....

The most common foods that celiacs seem to also not tolerate are soy, corn, eggs, casein, and I am sure others will add more here that you should challelnge depending on their experiences. Nightshades are also a common problem for those with joint aches and pains.

GAD.. AKA unsure.... Newbie

I hear you Blake!

I have been taking Meds (anti depressants) for 8 years with the symptoms you have described! I kept telling docs all my symptoms were physical and started with the migraines you suggest and got worse. I almost always had my migraines in the evening - is this true for you?

Day 5 gluten free and I am still with brain fog and feeling crap. Hope to pull through and be feeling good for Christmas.

Today I am starting on dairy free also. Basically I just need to feel better - coming off meds after 8 years and to feel okay for me would be the most awesome thing imaginable.

I wish you well.

zeta-lilly Apprentice

You may have a yeast overgrowth after undergoing treatment for the bacterial infection. I suggest taking a probiotic to help restore the balance and look into the yeast diet. The bacteria was keeping the yeast under control and when you take antibiotics, you kill all types of bacteria, even the good. The yeast no longer has to fight for resources so it grows like crazy.

The other folks said that you could possibly have other food sensitivities/allergies and that's another possibility too. I never had symptoms of other food issues (other than the gluten) until I cut out the gluten. Then they were obvious. Other people have reported the same, so somehow it seems to mask them. Dairy is a strong possibility. When I first went gluten free I ate a lot more dairy, and gi distress is a big symptom of lactose intolerance.

Archived