Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

divamomma

Celiac/gluten Intolerance And Blood Tests

Would a positive blood test occur with gluten intolerance or ONLY with celiac disease?

Do people with gluten intolerance usually have all negative tests but respond to a gluten-free diet?

Would you say with a positive blood test and positive response to a gluten-free diet that it is celiac disease?

Mommy to 2 Divas in Training

~6 yr old daughter positive Celiac blood test December 2010 (at age 4)~

~Positive Biopsy January 10, 2011~

~Gluten Free since January 11, 2011~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

those are all very tuff questions- especially considering that many doctors dont even know how to answer them.

it might be easier to dissect your tests if i saw which antibody tests were taken and what the numbers were.

it IS confusing because i think an official Celiac dx is just ONE aspect of Gluten Intolerance- i think Gluten can cause a VAST amount of inflammatory and autoimmune diseases.

sorry if i didnt truly answer your question...

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

As cassP says, you will get different answers to this question depending on who you talk to. Many doctors are still of the opinion that if you don't test positive for celiac disease you can continue to eat gluten without worry. Many (more enlightened in my book) doctors, recognize that there is such a thing as non-celiac gluten intolerance; i.e., that celiac tests are measuring one particular form of gluten intolerance, and that there are other forms that we have not yet devised tests to measure.) And yes, these people whom the tests identify as negative most often respond positively to the gluten free diet.

A positive celiac blood test and biopsy occur only with celiac disease because that is what they have been devised to measure. There are currently no specific tests to measure non-celiac gluten intolerance, although researchers have identified specific genes (non-celiac genes) that are associated with gluten intolerance. MRI's can pick up UBO's (Unidentifed Bright Objects) in the brain which produce symptoms that can mimic MS, but have been traced as reactions to gluten. There are no tests to associate most neurological reactions (like ataxia, migraines, etc) with gluten, but we know that if you stop eating gluten these things often go away.

If you are truly gluten intolerant your symptoms will usually go away in the absence of gluten, unless you have developed (due to leaky gut syndrome) additional food intolerances that your body is reacting to. This may require additional detective work to identify the offending food(s).

If you have tested positive for celiac, and your symptoms go away with a gluten free diet, then you are officially identified as a celiac. (Now, some doctors require a positive biopsy to confirm this diagnosis :o ; a positive response to the diet is not enough for them :rolleyes: )

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Would a positive blood test occur with gluten intolerance or ONLY with celiac disease?

Do people with gluten intolerance usually have all negative tests but respond to a gluten-free diet?

Would you say with a positive blood test and positive response to a gluten-free diet that it is celiac disease?

Based on this new study, I would say anyone with a positive blood test and a response to the diet has celiac disease.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Gastroenterology/GeneralGastroenterology/23955

Gluten intolerance looking more and more like an inflammatory reaction to gluten. That reaction is thought to be the trigger that eventually develops into celiac in some people. In others, it looks like just the inflammatory reaction alone is enough to cause intolerance and make them feel sick from gluten.

Based on this new study, I would say anyone with a positive blood test and a response to the diet has celiac disease.

http://www.medpageto...nterology/23955

Gluten intolerance looking more and more like an inflammatory reaction to gluten. That reaction is thought to be the trigger that eventually develops into celiac in some people. In others, it looks like just the inflammatory reaction alone is enough to cause intolerance and make them feel sick from gluten.

Very interesting link, Skylark. Thank you!

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Mommy to 2 Divas in Training

~6 yr old daughter positive Celiac blood test December 2010 (at age 4)~

~Positive Biopsy January 10, 2011~

~Gluten Free since January 11, 2011~

I'm new to the forum and am loving the exchange of information, thank you all of you! A couple of questions regarding testing of family members. I was diagnosed with DH and subsequently Celiac in September 2010. My dad had several autoimmune diseases, my brother was diagnosed with Celiac in December 2010.

1. Should all of my siblings and all three of my children have the initial blood test?

2. Can a blood test show negative but you can still have Celiac?

3. Are chronic migraines/headaches a possible indicator of Celiac?

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

I have been tested for celiac disease & have been on a gluten-free diet for over a month now. We have to wait a week still to get my results back. I have some questions if that's okay.

1. Why do most of your family need to get tested for celiac?

2. How come when I drink powerade my stomach gets upset?

3. Why does it take so long to get diagnosed with celiac disease?

4. The doctor said that if something the blood test was high enough then I don't have to get a biopsy done. If that's true then how do you get diagnosed?

Thanks for reading & I would love some reply's

1. It's a genetic disease.

2. It's full of sweeteners and other things that aren't good for you. It's possible you could also have a problem with fructose but it's likely that it just disagrees with you.

3. The American medical system isn't known for its expedience. Everything takes a long time.

4. You were diagnosed. By the blood test. If your numbers are off the chart, the biopsy to confirm is unnecessary. Since you've been gluten-free for so long, the biopsy results would be suspect anyway. You need to be actively consuming gluten for accurate tests

"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free