Rate this topic

I've only been one the gluten free diet for about a week and half and I did start to notice some drastic changes, even tho I am self diagnosed. Stomach issues didn't really clear up, but my focus and fatigued drastically got better as well as some of my aches and pains.

Anyways, like an idiot I figued I'd do one last horrah with my buddies this weekend and have a few drinks and get some ribs that were apperently supposed to be gluten free. Let me tell you, apparently something did me in because the fatigue and poor focus are back full force and I fell flu like. Stomach issues are still here but they never really went away to begin with. I actually feel worse today then I did in a while. Is this normal?

I'm sorry that you are feeling sick. You fell off the wagon, now hop back on. There are so many great gluten free foods that you don't need to be eating gluten since it makes you sick. As far as drinks with friends, get some gluten free beer and invite your buddies over for some gluten free food.

Yes, it is normal for it to take some time to feel better after going gluten-free. Some people feel better very quickly, others take a long time. You are not throwing a light switch, so don't expect it to be instantaneous. There are real biological changes going on in your body. Your body needs to wind down from producing antibodies to your intestines first off, so they aren't constantly attacking your own tissues. My understanding is the antibodies should do that within a few weeks if you are 100% gluten-free and not refractory. Then your intestines can start really healing which can take a variable amount of time. You may also find that your digestion goes through some adjustment as the bacterial flora in your intestines adjusts to the new diet. That can take quite a while to get through by itself. It may help to avoid sugar during this period. You also may find that you have additional food intolerances to discover like many of us do. Those can do quite a number on your digestion as well and you won't feel right until you discover them and eliminate those foods.

Being on the gluten-free diet doesn't mean that your celiac is cured, it just means you are not irritating your instestines and triggering antibodies to form constantly. You still have a sensitive gut and ain't 100% normal gut wise.

All that may sound a little depressing, but you can learn to live with celiac quite well. It took me about 3 years to really feel better, but I am in my 50's and a slow learner and had multiple additional intolerances show up that slowed me down.

But now life is just a bowl of gluten-free cherries. :)

Yes, it is normal for it to take some time to feel better after going gluten-free. Some people feel better very quickly, others take a long time. You are not throwing a light switch, so don't expect it to be instantaneous. There are real biological changes going on in your body. Your body needs to wind down from producing antibodies to your intestines first off, so they aren't constantly attacking your own tissues. My understanding is the antibodies should do that within a few weeks if you are 100% gluten-free and not refractory. Then your intestines can start really healing which can take a variable amount of time. You may also find that your digestion goes through some adjustment as the bacterial flora in your intestines adjusts to the new diet. That can take quite a while to get through by itself. It may help to avoid sugar during this period. You also may find that you have additional food intolerances to discover like many of us do. Those can do quite a number on your digestion as well and you won't feel right until you discover them and eliminate those foods.

Being on the gluten-free diet doesn't mean that your celiac is cured, it just means you are not irritating your instestines and triggering antibodies to form constantly. You still have a sensitive gut and ain't 100% normal gut wise.

All that may sound a little depressing, but you can learn to live with celiac quite well. It took me about 3 years to really feel better, but I am in my 50's and a slow learner and had multiple additional intolerances show up that slowed me down.

But now life is just a bowl of gluten-free cherries. :)

Well I am self diagnosed, but i guess i got my answer today that maybe I should avoid it as i've had D all day and pretty much feel like crap.