SaraKat

Does Having Celiac Make You More Susceptible To Colds?

Rate this topic

I was dx'd in September and am just getting over an awful cold. I have not had a cold in years. I wonder if the celiac has anything to do with it?

Thanks,

Sara

I was dx'd in September and am just getting over an awful cold. I have not had a cold in years. I wonder if the celiac has anything to do with it?

Thanks,

Sara

After being diagnosed with celiac disease I noticed I got more colds / viruses and they lasted a lot longer. In 2009 my Vitamin D levels were very low and I started taking Vitamin D tablets which have helped stopping colds as I haven't had a cold for a year. You should look into Vitamin D tablets if you don't already take them.

In a word - YES.

I used to get every single cold & flu that went around. MISERABLE. This winter since going gluten-free and getting those antibodies down in my system...I am the only one who HASN'T gotten sick. It's amazing. Even my husband, who is normally Mr. I Never Get Sick, got sick. I didn't. I couldn't believe it.

The immune system is mostly in your intestines. When you don't have the good bacteria, the nutrients, etc. in your system, you get sick.

I'd recommend you work on your vitamin levels, staying gluten-free, and watching your sugar intake. They all make a huge difference.

FooGirlsMom

I also notice a dramatic change! Since I started eating healthy and my vitamin/mineral levels are normal, I rarely get any colds. Before, I got sick if I heard someone sneeze.

Totally agree with that Vitamin D suggestion!!!!